Force prediction for single point incremental forming deduced from experimental and FEM observations
- 855 Downloads
The aim of the study was to establish practical formulae allowing to predict the forces occurring during the single point incremental forming process. This study has been based on a large set of systematic experiments on the one hand and on results of finite elements modeling simulations on the other. This led to analytical formulae allowing to compute the three main components of the force for five selected materials in function of the working conditions (sheet thickness, wall angle, tool diameter, and step down) with a good precision. Moreover, a general model has been deduced, allowing to compute an approximate value for the force for any material, based on knowledge of the tensile strength only.
KeywordsSingle point incremental forming Rapid prototyping Sheet metal forming Forces Process modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jeswiet J, Micari F, Hirt G, Bramley A, Duflou J, Allwood J (2005) Asymmetric single point incremental forming of sheet metal, Annals of CIRP—Manufacturing Technology, vol 54/2/2005, pp. 623–650Google Scholar
- 2.Ambrogio G, Duflou J.R, Filice L, Aerens R (2007) Some considerations on force trends in Incremental Forming of different materials, 10th ESAFORM conference on material forming, AIP Conference Proceedings, vol 907, pp 193–198Google Scholar
- 5.Petek A, Kuzman K, Kopac J (2005) Forces and deformations analysis of incremental sheet metal forming, CAM3S, 11th International Scientific Conference on temporary achievements in mechanics, manufacturing and materials scienceGoogle Scholar
- 7.Pohlak M, Majak J, Küttner R (2007) Manufacturability and limitations in incremental sheet forming. Proc Est Acad Sci Eng 13(2):129–139Google Scholar
- 11.Duflou J.R, Tunçkol Y, Aerens R (2007) Force analysis for single point incremental forming, Proceedings of the 12th Internat. Conference on Sheet Metal, pp 543–550Google Scholar
- 12.Duflou J.R, Tunçkol Y (2006) Force modelling for single point incremental forming, Proceedings of the 9th ESAFORM Conference on Material Forming, Glasgow, ISBN 83-89541-66-1, pp 287–290Google Scholar
- 13.Van Bael A, He S, Van Houtte P, Tunçkol Y, Verbert J, Duflou JR (2005) Study on the thinning during single point incremental forming of aluminium sheets, 24th International Deep-Drawing Research Group CongressGoogle Scholar
- 14.Eyckens P, Van Bael A, Aerens R, Duflou JR, Van Houtte P (2008) Small-scale finite element modelling of the plastic deformation zone in the incremental forming process, Proceedings of the 11th ESAFORM Conference on Material FormingGoogle Scholar
- 15.Eyckens P, He S, Van Bael A., Duflou J.R, Van Houtte P (2007) Finite element based formability predictions of sheets subjected to the incremental forming process, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computational Plasticity (COMPLAS IX), pp. 529-532Google Scholar