Accuracy improvement method for flank milling surface design
In this paper, a variation of the method of designing surfaces for flank milling proposed by Li et al. 2006 (Surface design for flank milling. Submitted to CAD, July) is presented. Li’s method is based on the premise that the surface flank milled by a cylindrical tool can be represented by a NURBS surface and can be used by designers to build efficient impellers, blades and other engineering parts. In the proposed method, a four control point curve is used to approximate the grazing curves and for subsequent generation of a polynomial surface. This eliminates the need of weights for the interior control points and still results in a good surface. The accuracy of the surface can be controlled by adding control points. Examples are given to demonstrate the proposed surface design method.
KeywordsCurved surface design Flank milling Surface numerical analysis Surface error control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Li CG, Bedi S, Mann S (2006) Surface design for flank milling. Submitted to CAD, JulyGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bedi S, Mann S, Menzel C (2003) Flank milling with flat end cutters. CAD 35:293–300Google Scholar
- 5.Liu X (1995) Five-axis NC cylindrical milling of sculptured surfaces. CAD 27(12):887–894Google Scholar
- 6.Bohez ELJ, Senadhera SDR, Pole K, Duflou JR, Tar T (1997) A geometric modelling and five-axis machining algorithm for centrifugal impellers. J Manuf Syst 16(6):422–463Google Scholar
- 11.Mann S, Bedi S (2001) Generalization of the imprint method to general surfaces of revolution for NC machining. CAD 34:373–378Google Scholar
- 12.Lartigue C, Duc E, Affouard A (2003) Tool path deformation in 5-axis flank milling using envelop surface. CAD 35:375–382Google Scholar
- 13.Li CG, Bedi S, Mann S (2006) Flank milling surface design with the least square approach. WSEAS Trans Math 5(7):844–852, July ISSN 1109–2769Google Scholar
- 14.Farin G (2002) Curves and surfaces for computer-aided geometric design: a practical guide. Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- 15.Piegl L, Tiller W (1997) The NURBS book. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1995 and 1997Google Scholar
- 16.Li CG, Mann S, Bedi S (2005) Error measurements for flank milling. CAD 37:1459–1468Google Scholar
- 17.Li CG, Bedi S, Mann S (2007) Flank millable surface design in 5-axis machining. International conference on smart machining systems. Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, MarchGoogle Scholar