A tabu search approach to the cell formation problem
- 165 Downloads
The cell formation problem determines the decomposition of the manufacturing cells of a production system in which machines are assigned to these cells to process one or more part families so that each cell is operated independently and the intercellular flows are minimised or the number of parts flow processed within cells is maximised. In this paper, a tabu search heuristic—TSCF—that consists of dynamic tabu tenure with a long-term memory mechanism is presented to solve the cell formation problem. Test problems adopted from the literature and generated randomly are used to evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm. In addition, two methods for quickly generating the initial solutions are proposed, namely the group-and-assign (GAA) method, and the random approach. Computational results indicate that the GAA method, accompanied by the TSCF algorithm can produce optimal solutions in less than or equal to 0.005 s for all small- and medium-sized problems. The proposed algorithm should thus be useful to both practitioners and researchers.
KeywordsTabu search Cell formation problem
This work was partially supported by the National Science Council of Taiwan, under grants NSC 90-2218-E-212–012 and NSC 91-2213-E-212–018. This support is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Garey MR, Johnson DS (1979) Computers and Intractability. Freeman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- 5.Harlalakis J, Nagi R, Proth JM (1990) An efficient heuristic in manufacturing cell formation for group technology applications. Int J Prod Res 28:185–198Google Scholar
- 6.Rajagopalan R, Batra J (1975) Design of cellular production systems-a graph theoretical approach. Int J Prod Res 13:256–268Google Scholar
- 7.Vohra T, Chen D, Chang J, Chen H (1990) A network approach to cell formation in cellular manufacturing. Int J Prod Res 28:2075–2084Google Scholar
- 8.Wu N, Salvendy G (1993) Modified network approach for the design of cellular manufacturing systems. Int J Prod Res 31:1409–1421Google Scholar
- 9.Sun D, Lin L, Batta R (1995) Cell formation using tabu search. Comput Ind Eng 28:485–494Google Scholar
- 12.Glover F (1989) Tabu search—Part I. ORSA J Comput 1:190–206Google Scholar
- 13.Glover F (1990) Tabu search—Part II. ORSA J Comput 2:4–32Google Scholar
- 14.Glover F, Laguna M (1997) Tabu search. Kluwer Academic Publishers, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 15.Battiti R, Tecchiolli G (1994) The reactive tabu search. ORSA J Comput 6:126–140Google Scholar
- 18.Wu T-H, Low C, Wu W-T (2003) A tabu search approach to generalized assignment problem. Technical report, department of industrial engineering, Da-Yeh University, TaiwanGoogle Scholar