The normalized revealed comparative advantage index
- 1.4k Downloads
In this paper, we propose the normalized revealed comparative advantage (NRCA) index as an alternative measure of comparative advantage. The NRCA index is demonstrated capable of revealing the extent of comparative advantage that a country has in a commodity more precisely and consistently than other alternative RCA indices in the literature. As a result, the NRCA index is comparable across commodity, country, and time. Therefore, the NRCA index provides a useful tool for quantitative regional research, especially for studies on regional comparative advantage.
JEL ClassificationF14 R12 C43
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedictis LD, Tamberi M (2001) A note on the Balassa index of revealed comparative advantage. Working Papers #158, Dipartimento di Economia, Universita’ Politecnica delle Marche (I), doi: 10.2139/ssrn.289602
- Bojnec S (2001) Trade and revealed comparative advantage measures: regional and central and east European agricultural trade. Eastern Eur Econ 39: 72–98Google Scholar
- Cai JN, Leung PS (2007) Toward a more general measure of revealed comparative advantage variation. Appl Econ Lett 1–4. doi: 10.1080/13504850600748992
- Cai JN, Leung PS, Loke M (2007) Comparative advantage of selected agricultural products in Hawaii: a revealed comparative advantage assessment. Economic Issues EI-11, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawaii at ManoaGoogle Scholar
- Kunimoto K (1977) Typology of trade intensity indexes. Hitotsubashi J Econ 17: 15–32Google Scholar
- Laursen K (1998) Revealed comparative advantage and the alternatives as measures of international specialisation. DRUID Working Paper 98–30Google Scholar
- Leamer E, Stern RM (1970) Quantitative international economics. Allyn and Bacon, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Proudman J, Redding S (1998) Openness and growth. The Bank of England, UKGoogle Scholar
- Thongdee K, Kunnatee K (2003) Comparative advantage and competitive strength of Thai canned tuna export in the world market: 1982–1998. ABAC J 23: 19–33Google Scholar