Letter to the editor
- 47 Downloads
Dear Professor Karlsson,
We would appreciate the opportunity to comment on the article ‘Isolated medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction significantly improved quality of life in patients with recurrent patella dislocation’ by Bouras et al. . Overall, we are concerned with several aspects of the study design, the approach to the statistical analysis and particularly that some comments in the manuscript regarding outcome measures are misleading.
The authors’ statement that ‘no study has specifically looked at quality of life (QoL)’ following surgery for patellofemoral instability is not correct. There are numerous papers that have assessed QoL outcomes after MPFL reconstruction in large cohorts, some of which the authors have actually mentioned in this manuscript [1, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16]. These previous manuscripts all report improvement in QoL following patellar stabilisation using the Banff Patella Instability Instrument (BPII), the KOOS QoL subscale, or the...
- 3.Bouras T, Edmond U, Brown A, Gallacher P, Barnett A (2019) Isolated medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction significantly improved quality of life in patients with recurrent patella dislocation. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-019-05447-w CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Erickson BJ, Nguyen J, Gasik K, Gruber S, Brady J, Shubin Stein BE (2019) Isolated medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction for patellar instability regardless of tibial tubercle-trochlear groove distance and patellar height: outcomes at 1 and 2 years. Am J Sports Med. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546519835800363546519835800 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hiemstra LA, Kerslake S, Lafave M, Mohtadi NG (2016) Concurrent validation of the Banff Patella Instability Instrument to the Norwich Patellar Instability Score and the Kujala Score in patients with patellofemoral instability. Orthop J Sports Med 4:2325967116646085CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hiemstra LA, Peterson D, Youssef M, Soliman J, Banfield L, Ayeni OR (2018) Trochleoplasty provides good clinical outcomes and an acceptable complication profile in both short and long-term follow-up. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-018-5311-x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Smith TO, Chester R, Hunt N, Cross JL, Clark A, Donell ST (2016) The Norwich Patellar Instability Score: validity, internal consistency and responsiveness for people conservatively-managed following first-time patellar dislocation. Knee. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2015 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Tabachnick BG, Fidell LS (2013) Using multivariate statistics, 6th edn. Pearson Education, BostonGoogle Scholar