Does an abnormal infrapatellar plica increase the risk of chondral damage in the knee
- 154 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate abnormal infrapatellar plicae that cause chondral lesions on the patellofemoral sulcus and superior aspect of intercondylar notch.
In this study, 133 abnormal infrapatellar plicae were evaluated. The abnormal infrapatellar plicae may lead to chondral lesions on the superior portion of intercondylar notch and on the inferior portion of the patellofemoral sulcus with striking, friction, and compression forces during knee motion.
The chondral lesions that were caused by abnormal infrapatellar plicae were more severe than the chondral lesions that were caused by normal infrapatellar plicae. The width of the plica did not affect the severity of chondral lesions.
Abnormal infrapatellar plicae might be one of the causes of chondral lesions on the superior portion of intercondylar notch and on the patellofemoral sulcus. The width of the plica did not affect the severity of chondral lesions.
KeywordsAbnormal Infrapatellar plica Chondral lesion Intercondylar notch Patellofemoral sulcus
- 3.Cannon WD Jr (1994) Arthroscopic survey of the knee joint. In: Scott WN (ed) The Knee. St Louis Baltimore Boston Chicago London Madrid Philadelphia Sydney Toronto: Mosby: 499–500Google Scholar
- 4.Cothran RL, McGuire PM, Helms CA, Major NM, Attarian DE (2003) MR Imaging of infrapatellar plica injury. Am J Roentgenol 180:1443–1447Google Scholar
- 8.Jackson RW (1996) Synovial lesions: plicae. In: McGinty JB (ed) Operative arthroscopy. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, pp 450–454Google Scholar
- 9.Johnson DP, Eastwood DM, Witherow PJ (1993) Symptomatic synovial plicae of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am 75-A:1485–1496Google Scholar
- 13.Kosarek FJ, Helmes CA (1999) The MR appearance of the infrapatellar plica. Am J Roentgenol 172:481–484Google Scholar
- 14.Maffulli N, Testa V, Capasso G (1993) Mediopatellar synovial plica of the knee in athletes: results of arthroscopic treatment. Med Sci Sport Exerc 25:985–988Google Scholar
- 17.Wilson SA (1994) Anatomy. In: Scott WN (ed) The knee. St Louis, Baltimore, pp 24–26Google Scholar