Hallux valgus in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome
- 279 Downloads
The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of hallux valgus (HV) in patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS). Ninety-nine patients with unilateral patellofemoral pain participated. The study was designed with each subject acting as their own internal control by using the unaffected limb for comparison. The HV and intermetatarsal angles were measured by weight-bearing anteroposterior radiographs in patients. Eighty-four out of 99 patients had an abnormal HV angle on the affected side and 78 of 99 patients had an abnormal HV angle on the unaffected side. There were significant differences in the HV angle between affected and unaffected sides (P = 0.003). This study is the first to demonstrate the relationship between HV and PFPS. Further comprehensive biomechanical studies are warranted to analyse the relationship between HV and PFPS.
KeywordsHallux valgus Intermetatarsal angle Patellofemoral pain syndrome
This study was written when Defne Kaya attended as a researcher in Centre for Rehabilitation Science, University of Manchester in UK. The authors would like to thank Akin Üzümcügil, MD, Assis. of Prof. for his assistance in taking measurements. The authors did not receive grants or outside funding in support of their research or for the preparation of this manuscript.
- 7.Fairbank JC, Pynsent PB, van Poortvliet JA, Phillips H (1984) Mechanical factors in the incidence of knee pain in adolescents and young adults. J Bone Jt Surg Br 66:685–693Google Scholar
- 9.Gudas CJ, Marcinko DE (1992) The complex deformity known as hallux abductor valgus. In: Marcinko DE (ed) Comprehensive textbook of hallux valgus reconstruction. Mosby, St Louis, pp 1–17Google Scholar
- 10.Hardy RH, Clapham JCR (1951) Observation on hallux valgus. Based on a controlled series. J Bone Jt Surg Br 33:376–391Google Scholar
- 12.Kilmartin TE, Barrington RL, Wallace WA (1991) Metatarsus primus varus: statistical study. J Bone Jt Surg Br 73:937–941Google Scholar
- 14.Mann RA, Coughlin MJ (1993) Adult hallux valgus. In: Mann RA, Coughlin MJ (eds) Surgery of the foot and ankle, 6th edn. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 167–296 (year book)Google Scholar
- 18.Sammarco GJ, Burnstein AH, Frankel VD (1973) Biomechanics of the ankle: a kinematic study. Orthop Clin N Am 4:248–253Google Scholar