An incremental development of the Mondex system in Event-B
A development of the Mondex system was undertaken using Event-B and its associated proof tools. An incremental approach was used whereby the refinement between the abstract specification of the system and its detailed design was verified through a series of refinements. The consequence of this incremental approach was that we achieved a very high degree of automatic proof. The essential features of our development are outlined. We also present some modelling and proof guidelines that we found helped us gain a deep understanding of the system and achieve the high degree of automatic proof.
KeywordsEvent-B System design Refinement Mechanical proof Methodological guidelines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Abrial J-R, Cansell D (2003) Click’n’Prove: Interactive Proofs within Set Theory. In: Theorem proving in higher order logics vol 2758 of LNCS, pp 1–24Google Scholar
- 3.Abrial J-R, Hallerstede S (2006) Refinement, decomposition and instantiation of discrete models. Fundamentae Inform (to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.Back R (1990) Refinement calculus, part II: Parallel and reactive programs. In: de Bakker JW, de Roever W-P, Rozenberg G (eds) Stepwise refinement of distributed systems, vol 430 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 67–93Google Scholar
- 5.Clearsy. B4free tool homepage. www.b4free.com
- 6.Evans N, Butler M (2006) A proposal for records in Event-B. In: Misra J, Nipkow T, Sekerinski E (eds) FM 2006: Formal methods, 14th international symposium on formal methods, Hamilton, Canada, August 21–27, 2006. Proceedings, vol 4085 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Heidlberg, pp 221–235Google Scholar
- 7.Hallerstede S (2007) Justifications for the Event-B modelling notation. In: Julliand J, Kouchnarenko O (eds) B, vol 4355 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 49–63Google Scholar
- 8.He J, Hoare CAR, Sanders JW (1986) Data refinement refined. In: Robinet B, Wilhelm R (eds) ESOP, vol 213 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 187–196Google Scholar
- 9.Schellhorn G, Grandy H, Haneberg D, Moebius N, Reif W (2007) A systematic verification approach for Mondex electronic purses using ASMs. In: Dagstuhl seminar on rigorous methods for software construction and analysis, vol of LNCS (to appear)Google Scholar
- 10.Stepney S, Cooper D, Woodcock J (2000) An electronic purse specification, refinement, and proof. Technical Report PRG-126, Oxford University Computing Laboratory, www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/bib/ss/z/monog.htm