A mini challenge: build a verifiable filesystem
- First Online:
- 90 Downloads
We propose tackling a “mini challenge” problem: a nontrivial verification effort that can be completed in 2–3 years, and will help establish notational standards, common formats, and libraries of benchmarks that will be essential in order for the verification community to collaborate on meeting Hoare’s 15-year verification grand challenge. We believe that a suitable candidate for such a mini challenge is the development of a filesystem that is verifiably reliable and secure. The paper argues why we believe a filesystem is the right candidate for a mini challenge and describes a project in which we are building a small embedded filesystem for use with flash memory.
KeywordsVerification grand challenge Filesystem design Formal verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- VGC05.Workshop on the verification grand challenge (2005) SRI international, Menlo Park, CA. See http://www.csl.sri.com/users/shankar/VGC05Google Scholar
- VSTTE.Conference on Verified software: theories, tools, experiments. Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich, Zürich, 10–13, October 2006. See http://vstte.ethz.chGoogle Scholar
- Pnu05.Pnueli A (2005) Looking Ahead. Presentation at the Workshop on The Verification Grand Challenge, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA. Slides available at http://www.csl.sri.com/users/shankar/VGC05/pnueli.pdfGoogle Scholar
- POSIX.The Open Group (2003) The POSIX 1003.1, 2003 edition specification. available online at http://www.opengroup.org/certification/idx/posix.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Bev95.Bevier WR, Cohen R, Turner J (1995) A specification for the synergy file system. Technical Report 120, Computational Logic, Inc., September 1995Google Scholar
- YTEM04.Yang J, Twohey P, Engler D, Musuvathi M (2004) Using model checking to find serious file system errors. In: Proceedings of the conference on operating systems design and implementation (OSDI), San Francisco, December 2004, pp 273–288Google Scholar
- Dataio.Data I/O A collection of NAND flash application notes, whitepapers and articles. available at http://www.data-io.com/ NAND/NANDApplicationNotes.aspGoogle Scholar