Novel decoupling method for time-dependent reliability-based design optimization
- 37 Downloads
Time-dependent reliability-based design optimization (RBDO) can provide the optimal design parameter solutions for the time-dependent structure, and thus plays a significant role in engineering application. Directly solving the time-dependent RBDO needs a nested double-loop optimization procedure, which undoubtedly leads to large computational costs. A novel decoupling method called two-step method (TSM) is proposed to efficiently solve the time-dependent RBDO. In the two-step method, the first step makes the minimum instantaneous reliability index satisfy the reliability target index by solving a transformed time-independent RBDO, and the second step performs time-dependent reliability analysis and deterministic optimization to obtain the optimal design parameters which meet the reliability target. Only a few time-dependent reliability analyses and several deterministic optimizations are involved in the proposed procedure; thus, the time-dependent RBDO can be efficiently solved. Several examples containing one numerical example and two engineering examples are introduced to show the effectiveness of the proposed TSM.
KeywordsTime-dependent RBDO Decoupling method Minimum instantaneous reliability Time-dependent reliability Shifting vector increment
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant 51475370), the National Science and Technology Major Project (2017-IV-0009-0046) and the Innovation Foundation for Doctor Dissertation of Northwestern Polytechnical University (Grant CX201931). The authors would like to thank the reviewers’ for the constructive and helpful suggestions and comments on our paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Fang T, Jiang C, Li Y, Huang ZL, Wei XP, Han X (2018) Time-variant reliability-based design optimization using equivalent most probable point. IEEE Trans Reliab 99:1–12Google Scholar
- Gu L, Yang RJ (2003) Recent applications on reliability based optimization of automotive structures. Proceedings of SAE World Congress:2003–01-0152Google Scholar
- Hu Z, Mahadevan S (2016) A single-loop kriging surrogate modeling for time-dependent reliability analysis. ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 138:061406.1–061406.10Google Scholar
- Huang ZL, Jiang C, Zhang Z, Zhang W, Yang TG (2019) Evidence-theory-based reliability design optimization with parametric correlations. Struct Multidiscip Optim (1):16Google Scholar
- Li MY, Bai GX, Wang ZQ (2018) Time-variant reliability-based design optimization using sequential kriging modeling. Struct Multidiscip Optim:1–15Google Scholar
- Liang JH, Mourelatos ZP, Tu J (2004) A single-loop method for reliability-based design optimization. ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference:419–430Google Scholar
- Wang ZQ, Wang PF (2012a) A nested extreme response surface approach for time-dependent reliability-based design optimization. ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 134:121007.1–1210007.14Google Scholar
- Wang Z, Wang P (2012b) Reliability-based product design with time-dependent performance deterioration. Prognostics and Health Management:1–12Google Scholar