Robust multiphase topology optimization accounting for manufacturing uncertainty via stochastic collocation
- 256 Downloads
This paper presents a computational framework for multimaterial topology optimization under uncertainty. We combine stochastic collocation with design sensitivity analysis to facilitate robust design optimization. The presence of uncertainty is motivated by the induced scatter in the mechanical properties of candidate materials in the additive manufacturing process. The effective elastic modulus in each finite element is obtained by an interpolation scheme which is parameterized with three distinct elastic moduli corresponding to the available design materials. The parametrization enables the SIMP-style penalization of intermediate material properties, thus ensuring convergence to a discrete manufacturable design. We consider independent random variables for the elastic modulus of different materials and generate designs that minimize the variability in the performance, namely structural compliance. We use a newly developed quadrature rule, designed quadrature, to compute statistical moments with reduced computational cost. We show our approach on numerical benchmark problems of linear elastic continua where we demonstrate the improved performance of robust designs compared with deterministic designs. We provide the MATLAB implementation of our approach.
KeywordsMultimaterial topology optimization Additive manufacturing Robust design optimization Stochastic collocation
The authors wish to acknowledge the support of the National Science Foundation, which funded this research through grant number CMMI-1663566.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Brackett D, Ashcroft I, Hague R (2011) Topology optimization for additive manufacturingGoogle Scholar
- Ghanem RG, Spanos PD (2002) Stochastic finite elements A spectral approach. Dover publicationsGoogle Scholar
- Guest JK, Zhu M (2012) Casting and milling restrictions in topology optimization via projection-based algorithms. In: ASME 2012 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- Heiss F, Winschel V (2007) Quadrature on sparse grids. http://www.sparse-grids.de/
- Keshavarzzadeh V, James KA (2018) Numerical implementation for robust multiphase topology optimization. http://github.com/vahid28k/TOPOPT-RTO-MM
- Langelaar M (2017) Topology optimization of 3d self-supporting structures for additive manufacturing. Add Manuf 12A:60–70Google Scholar
- Mass Y, Amir O (2017) Topology optimization for additive manufacturing Accounting for overhang limitations using a virtual skeleton. Add Manuf 18:58–73Google Scholar
- Shintani K, Chan Y-C, Chen W (2017) Robust multi-material topology optimization for lattice structure under material uncertainties. Advances in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. WCSMO, pp 1110–1123Google Scholar
- Zhao Q, Chen X, Ma Z-D, Yi L (2015) Robust topology optimization based on stochastic collocation methods under loading uncertainties. Mathematical Problems in EngineeringGoogle Scholar