Topology optimization of a pre-stiffened aircraft bulkhead
- 295 Downloads
The bulkhead of an aft-fuselage twin-engine mounted aircraft is a pivotal structural component from a noise and vibrations perspective as it is the main transmission path for the engine-induced vibration to propagate into the passenger cabin. Despite this, there has yet to be a successful implementation of topology optimization (TO) on a pre-stiffened aircraft bulkhead. This work is the first to investigate TO on a pre-stiffened bulkhead with a frequency-based problem statement. The objective function was set to maximize the first eigenfrequency to maximize the stiffness to mass ratio of the bulkhead. Frequency constraints were implemented to eliminate the natural frequencies within range of the engine excitation frequency. A volume fraction constraint was set such that the mass of the solution was less than the mass of similar bulkhead stiffeners reported in the literature. The first successful implementation of topology optimization on a pre-stiffened aircraft bulkhead was obtained. Two designs satisfying the optimality criterion were generated, both of which were able to improve bulkhead structural integrity, reduce mass, and eliminate resonance from ± 10% of the engine excitation frequency. This work demonstrates that TO is a useful tool to help aerospace engineers improve the vibro-acoustic properties of the bulkhead without sacrificing mass or structural integrity. The methodology introduced in this work can be easily integrated into aircraft design, as it uses tools widely available in the aerospace industry.
KeywordsTopology optimization Aircraft bulkhead Modal analysis Frequency constraints
The authors would like to acknowledge Bombardier Aerospace for providing technical and financial support, as well as the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) for providing financial support to this research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Altair (2018) Optistruct user guide 14.0.230Google Scholar
- Bendsøe MP (2009) Topology optimization. Springer USGoogle Scholar
- Carrick C, Kim IY (2017) Topology and cost optimization applied to develop new designs for a monorail structure. In: World congress of structural and multidisciplinary optimisation. Springer, pp 1143–1155Google Scholar
- Krog L, Tucker A, Rollema G (2002) Application of topology, sizing and shape optimization methods to optimal design of aircraft components. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Altair UK HyperWorks users conferenceGoogle Scholar
- Richards L (1980) On the psychology of passenger comfort. Human factors in transport research edited by Dj Oborne, Ja Levis, 2Google Scholar
- Rucks G (2008) Boeing optistruct usage: challenges of implementation and the emergence of a new design role. 67th International conference on mass properties, pp 298–310Google Scholar
- Štok B, Mihelič A (1996) Two-stage design optimization of shell structures. Struct Eng Rev 2(8):91–97Google Scholar
- Unruh JF, Scheidt DC, Pomerening DJ (1979) Engine-induced structural-borne noise in a general aviation aircraft. NASA-CR- 159099Google Scholar
- Warwick BT, Mechefske CK, Kim IY (2017) Computational modal analysis of a twin-engine rear fuselage mounted aircraft support frame. In: ASME International design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference. American Society of Mechanical EngineersGoogle Scholar
- Warwick BT, Mechefske CK, Kim IY (2018) Effect of stiffener configuration on bulkhead modal parameters. In: ASME international design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference. American Society of Mechanical EngineersGoogle Scholar
- Warwick BT, Kim IY, Mechefske CK (2019a) Effect of pressurization on an aft-fuselage mounted twin-engine aircraft. J Vib Acoust (in press)Google Scholar
- Warwick BT, Kim IY, Mechefske CK (2019b) Substructuring verification of a rear fuselage mounted twin engine aircraft. J Aerosp Sci TechnolGoogle Scholar
- Woischwill C, Roper S, Li D, Carrick C, Kim I (2017) Large scale topology optimization utilizing element detection & refinement. In: Proceedings of the 26th CANCAMGoogle Scholar