Topology optimization of anisotropic magnetic composites in actuators using homogenization design method
- 237 Downloads
This work presents topology optimization of anisotropic magnetic composites in actuators. The magnetic composite consists of two different ferromagnetic materials with high and low magnetic reluctivity, which correspond to matrix and fiber materials, respectively. The magnetic composite is expected to enhance the actuator performance when it is properly designed. The proposed design optimization scheme can find the composite layout, fiber volume fraction, and fiber orientations to achieve an actuator force maximization. In the proposed scheme, four microstructure design variables are assigned at each finite element, and the effective homogenized material property (i.e., magnetic reluctivity) is calculated using the asymptotic homogenization method. The microstructure design variables are then optimized to achieve the optimal distribution of the homogenized material property in a macroscopic scale. In the design result, discrete fiber orientations and volume fractions are achieved by applying the discrete penalization scheme. In addition, the obtained composite design result is visualized using the projection method proposed for a periodic composite design result. The effectiveness of the proposed topology optimization procedures is validated in magnetic actuator design examples. In addition, the design result of anisotropic composite is compared with the isotropic multi-material design result to validate the benefit of anisotropic composite in actuators.
KeywordsTopology optimization Homogenization design method Anisotropic magnetic composites Magnetic actuator
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (NRF-2016 R1D1A1B03931138), and Global University Project (GUP) grant funded by the GIST in 2018.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interests
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bensoussan A, Lions J-L, Papanicolaou G (2011) Asymptotic analysis for periodic structures. AMS Chelsea PublishingGoogle Scholar
- Choi JS, Yoo J (2009a) Design of an eddy current brake system using microstructures. IEEE Trans Magn 45(6):2720–2723Google Scholar
- Choi JS, Yoo J (2009b) Simultaneous structural topology optimization of electromagnetic sources and ferromagnetic materials. Comput Methods Appl Mech Engrg 198:2111–2121Google Scholar
- Ishikawa T, Mizuno S, Krita N (2017) Topology optimization method for asymmetrical rotor using cluster and cleaning procedure. IEEE Trans Magn 53(6):7001504Google Scholar
- Lee J (2010) Structural design optimization of electric motors to improve torque performance, Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. Mech. Eng., Univ. Michigan Ann Arbor, MI, USAGoogle Scholar
- Lee J, Yoon SW (2015) Optimization of magnet and back-iron topologies in electromagnetic vibration energy harvesters. IEEE Trans Magn 51(6):7208807Google Scholar
- Lee J, Lee S-W, Kim K, Lee J (2018a) Multi-material topology optimization of magnetic actuator with segmented permanent magnets. IEEE Trans Magn 54(7):8202706Google Scholar
- Lee J, Kim D, Nomura T, Dede EM, Yoo J (2018b) Topology optimization for continuous and discrete orientation design of functionally graded fiber-reinforced composite. structures. Compos Struct 201:217–233Google Scholar
- Putek P, Gausling K, Bartel A, Gawrylczyk KM, Maten EJW, Pulch R, Günther M (2015) Robust Topology optimization of a permanent magnet synchronous machine using multi-level set and stochastic collocation methods. In: Scientific Computing in Electrical Engineering SCEE 2014 (Mathematics in Industry). New York, SpringerGoogle Scholar