A data-driven approach to non-parametric reliability-based design optimization of structures with uncertain load
- 56 Downloads
This paper presents a simple method for conservatively solving a reliability-based design optimization (RBDO) problem of structures, when only a set of random samples of uncertain parameters is available. Specifically, we consider the truss design optimization under the stress constraints, where the external load is a random vector. The target confidence level, i.e., the probability that the structural reliability is no smaller than the target reliability, is specified, without any assumption on statistical information of the input distribution. We formulate a robust design optimization problem, any feasible solution of which satisfies the reliability constraint with the specified confidence level. The derived robust design optimization problem is solved with a sequential semidefinite programming. Two numerical examples are solved to show the trade-off between the specified confidence level and the structural volume.
KeywordsReliability-based design optimization Data-driven approach Uncertain input distribution Reliability with confidence Order statistics Robust optimization
This work is partially supported by JSPS KAKENHI 17K06633.
- Bertsimas D, Sim M, Zhang M (to appear) Adaptive distributionally robust optimization. Management Science, https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2017.2952
- Choi J, An D, Won J (2010) Bayesian approach for structural reliability analysis and optimization using the Kriging dimension reduction method. J Mech Des (ASME), 132, Article No 051003Google Scholar
- Grant M, Boyd S (2008) Graph implementations for nonsmooth convex programs. In: Blondel V., Boyd S., Kimura H. (eds) Recent advances in learning and control (A Tribute to M. Vidyasagar). Springer, pp 95–110Google Scholar
- Grant M, Boyd S (2018) CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming, Ver. 2.1 http://cvxr.com/cvx/ (Accessed June 2018)
- Hong LJ, Huang Z, Lam H (2017) Learning-based robust optimization: Procedures and statistical guarantees. arXiv:1704.04342
- Huang H-Z, Zhang X (2009) Design optimization with discrete and continuous variables of aleatory and epistemic uncertainties. J Mech Des (ASME), 131, Article No 031006Google Scholar
- Ito M, Kogiso N (2016) Information uncertainty evaluated by parameter estimation and its effect on reliability-based multiobjective optimization. J Adv Mech Des Syst Manuf, 10, Article No 16–00331Google Scholar
- Moon M. -Y., Choi KK, Cho H, Gaul N, Lamb D, Gorsich D (2017) Reliability-based design optimization using confidence-based model validation for insufficient experimental data. J Mech Des (ASME), 139, Article No 031404Google Scholar
- Noh Y, Choi KK, Lee I, Gorsich D, Lamb D (2011b) Reliability-based design optimization with confidence level for non-Gaussian distributions using bootstrap method. J Mech Des (ASME), 133, Article No 091001Google Scholar
- Tulabandhula T, Rudin C (2014) Robust optimization using machine learning for uncertainty sets. arXiv:1407.1097