Reliability-based topology optimization under shape uncertainty modeled in Eulerian description
- 250 Downloads
This paper presents a reliability-based topology optimization method under geometrical uncertainties. First, we briefly introduce the concept of topology optimization. Then, we explain how shape uncertainty is modeled in Eulerian description, using an advection equation and a Karhunen-Loève expansion. Based on the shape uncertainty modeling, we formulate a reliability measure for the shape uncertainty, briefly introducing the inverse reliability method. Two optimization problems, a minimum mean compliance problem and an optimum design problem for a compliant mechanism, are then formulated using the proposed shape uncertainty modeling. The design sensitivity analysis for the reliability analysis and optimization procedure, performed using the adjoint variable method, is then explained. A two-level optimization algorithm is constructed next, in which the inner iteration is used for reliability analysis and the outer is used for updating design variables. Finally, three numerical examples are provided to demonstrate the validity and the utility of the proposed method.
KeywordsTopology optimization Reliability design Shape uncertainty Karhunen-Loève expantion Performance measure approach
This work was partially supported by JSPS Kakenhi, No. 17J08185.
- Allaire G (2002) Shape optimization by the homogenization method. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Chen X, Hasselman TK, Neill DJ et al (1997) Reliability based structural design optimization for practical applications. In: Proceedings of the 38th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC structures, structural dynamics, and materials conference, pp 2724–2732Google Scholar
- Kang Z, Liu P (2018) Reliability-based topology optimization against geometric imperfections with random threshold model. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.5797
- Lazarov BS, Sigmund O (2009) Sensitivity filters in topology optimisation as a solution to Helmholtz type differential equation. In: 8th world congress on structural and multidisciplinary optimizationGoogle Scholar
- Tu J, Choi KK, Park YH (1999) A new study on reliability-based design optimization. Trans Am Soc Mech Eng J Mech Des 121(4):557–564Google Scholar