An 88-line MATLAB code for the parameterized level set method based topology optimization using radial basis functions
- 967 Downloads
This paper presents a compact and efficient 88-line MATLAB code for the parameterized level set method based topology optimization using radial basis functions (RBFs), which is applied to minimize the compliance of a two-dimensional linear elastic structure. This parameterized level set method using radial basis functions can maintain a relatively smooth level set function with an approximate re-initialization scheme during the optimization process. It also has less dependency on initial designs due to its capability in nucleation of new holes inside the material domain. The MATLAB code and simple modifications are explained in detail with numerical examples. The 88-line code included in the appendix is intended for educational purposes.
KeywordsTopology optimization Level set method Radial basis functions MATLAB code
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. 11372004, 11002056, 11002058 and the State Key Laboratory of Subtropical Building Science under Grant No. 2016 KB13.
- Allaire G (2009) A 2-d Scilab Code for shape and topology optimization by the level set method. http://www.cmap.polytechnique.fr/∼allaire/levelset_en.html
- Choi KK, Kim NH (2005) Structural sensitivity analysis and optimization 1. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Wang MY, Wei P (2005) Topology optimization with level set method incorporating topological derivative. 6th World Congress on Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, Rio de Janeiro, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Wang MY, Chen SK, Xia Q (2004) TOPLSM, 199-line version. http://ihome.ust.hk/~mywang/download/TOPLSM_199.m
- Wei P, Wang MY (2006) The augmented Lagrangian method in structural shape and topology optimization with RBF based level set method, The 4th China-Japan-Korea Joint Symposium on Optimization of Structural and Mechanical Systems, Kunming, ChinaGoogle Scholar