Structural topology optimization with constraints on multi-fastener joint loads
- 833 Downloads
This paper addresses an important problem of design constraints on fastener joint loads that are well recognized in the design of assembled aircraft structures. To avoid the failure of fastener joints, standard topology optimization is extended not only to minimize the structural compliance but also to control shear loads intensities over fasteners. It is shown that the underlying design scheme is to ameliorate the stiffness distribution over the structure in accordance with the control of load distributions over fastener joints. Typical examples are studied by means of topology optimization with joint load constraints and the standard compliance design. The effects of joint load constraints are highlighted by comparing numerical optimization results obtained by both methods. Meanwhile, resin models of optimized designs are fabricated by rapid prototyping process for loading test experiments to make sure the effectiveness of the proposed method.
KeywordsTopology optimization Multi-fastener joint Joint load constraint Loading test Rapid prototyping
The authors would like to thank Prof Wang Boping from the University of Texas at Arlington and Dr Yang Jun from Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute of AVIC for the valuable discussions.
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (51275424, 11002113 and 11172236), 973 Program (2011CB610304), NPU Foundation for Fundamental Research (NPU-FFR-JC20120229), and the 111 Project(B07050).
- Barrett RT (1992) Fastener design manual. NASA Reference Publication 1228Google Scholar
- Bendsøe MP, Sigmund O (2003) Topology optimization: theory, methods and applications. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Bianchi G, Aglietti GS, Richardson G (2007) Optimization of bolted joints connecting honeycomb panels. In: 1st CEAS, 10th European conference on spacecraft structures, materials and mechanical testing, 10–13 Sep. BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Niu MCY (1988) Airframe structural design: practical design information and data on aircraft structures. Technical Book CoGoogle Scholar
- Poon C, Xiong Y (1995) Design of bolted joints for composite structures. Woodhead Publishing Limited, UK, pp 629–636Google Scholar
- Svanberg K (1995) A globally convergent version of MMA without linesearch. In: 1st world congress of structural and multidisciplinary optimization. Pergamon, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Wang BZ (2000) Aircraft design manual 10: structural design. Aviation Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar