Topology optimization involving thermo-elastic stress loads
- 1.2k Downloads
Structural topology optimization of thermo-elastic problems is investigated in this paper. The key issues about the penalty models of the element stiffness and thermal stress load of the finite element model are highlighted. The penalization of thermal stress coefficient (TSC) measured by the product between thermal expansion coefficient and Young’s modulus is proposed for the first time to characterize the dependence of the thermal stress load upon the design variables defined by element pseudo-densities. In such a way, the element stiffness and the thermal stress load can be penalized independently in terms of element pseudo-density. This formulation demonstrates especially its capability of solving problems with multiphase materials. Besides, the comparison study shows that the interpolation model RAMP is more advantageous than the SIMP in our case. Furthermore, sensitivity analysis of the structural mean compliance is developed in the case of steady-state heat conduction. Numerical examples of two-phase and three-phase materials are presented.
KeywordsTopology optimization Thermo-elastic problems Thermal stress Design-dependent load Thermal stress coefficient
This work is supported by the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (10925212), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (50775184, 90916027) and the Aeronautical Science Foundation (2008ZA53007).
- Bendsøe MP (1995) Optimization of structural topology, shape, and material. Springer, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Gao T, Zhang WH (2009a) Structural topology optimization under inertial loads. Chinese Journal of Theoretical Applied Mechanics 41(4):530–541 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gao T, Zhang WH (2009b) Topology optimization of multiphase-material structures under design-dependent pressure loads. Int J Simul Multidisci Des Optim 3(1):297–306Google Scholar
- Rozvany GIN, Zhou M (1991) Applications of the COC algorithm in layout optimization. In: Eschenauer H, Matteck C, Olhoff N (eds) Engineering optimization in design processes. Proc. int. conf. held in Karlsruhe, Germany, Sept. 1990. Springer, Berlin, pp 59–70Google Scholar
- Sun SP, Zhang WH (2009) Topology optimal design of thermo-elastic structures. Chinese Journal of Theoretical Applied Mechanics 41(6):878–887 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Svanberg K (1995) A globally convergent version of MMA without linesearch. In: Proc. first world congress of structural and multidisciplinary optimization. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 9–16Google Scholar
- Zuo KT, Qian Q, Zhao YD, Chen LP (2005) Research on the topology optimization about thermo-structural coupling field. Acta Mech Solida Sinica 26:447–452 (in Chinese)Google Scholar