A simple heuristic for gray-scale suppression in optimality criterion-based topology optimization
- 422 Downloads
We propose a very simple heuristic to suppress gray-scale material in topology optimization in optimality criterion-like implementations. Gray-scale suppression (GSS) is recommended for use in conjunction with the SIMP material description, although gray-scale suppression in itself is adequate to effect predominantly black-and-white designs. Minimal changes are required to incorporate the gray-scale suppression technique in Sigmund’s popular 99-line Matlab code for topology optimization.
KeywordsTopology optimization SIMP Optimality criterion (OC) Gray-scale suppression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bendsøe M (1995) Optimization of structural topology, shape and material. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Bendsøe M, Sigmund O (2003) Topology optimization: theory, methods and applications. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Rozvany G, Zhou M (1991) Applications of COC method in layout optimization. In: Eschenauer H, Mattheck C, Olhoff N (eds) Proc. engineering optimization in design processes. Springer, Berlin, pp 59–70Google Scholar
- Sigmund O (1994) Design of material structures using topology optimization. PhD thesis, Technical University of Denmark, Department of Solid MechanicsGoogle Scholar
- Sigmund O (1997) On the design of compliant mechanisms using topology optimization. Mech Struct Machines 25:495–526Google Scholar
- Zhou M, Rozvany G (1991) The COC method. Part II. Topological, geometrical and generalized shape optimization. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng 40:1–26Google Scholar