Robust design with arbitrary distributions using Gauss-type quadrature formula
- 314 Downloads
In this paper, we present the Gauss-type quadrature formula as a rigorous method for statistical moment estimation involving arbitrary input distributions and further extend its use to robust design optimization. The mathematical background of the Gauss-type quadrature formula is introduced and its relation with other methods such as design of experiments (DOE) and point estimate method (PEM) is discussed. Methods for constructing one dimensional Gauss-type quadrature formula are summarized and the insights are provided. To improve the efficiency of using it for robust design optimization, a semi-analytic design sensitivity analysis with respect to the statistical moments is proposed for two different multi-dimensional integration methods, the tensor product quadrature (TPQ) formula and the univariate dimension reduction (UDR) method. Through several examples, it is shown that the Gauss-type quadrature formula can be effectively used in robust design involving various non-normal distributions. The proposed design sensitivity analysis significantly reduces the number of function calls of robust optimization using the TPQ formulae, while using the UDR method, the savings of function calls are observed only in limited situations.
KeywordsRobust design Gauss-type quadrature formula Tensor product quadrature Univariate dimension reduction method Analytical design sensitivity analysis Design optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramowitz M, Stegun IA (1965) Handbook of mathematical functions, with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables. Dover, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Hahn GJ, Shapiro SS (1967) Statistical models in engineering. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lee SH, Chen W (2008) A comparative study of uncertainty propagation methods for black-box type problems. Struct Multidisc Optim. doi:10.1007/s00158-008-0234-7
- Lee SH, Choi HS, Kwak BM (2008) Multi-level design of experiments for statistical moment and probability calculation. Struct Multidisc Optim. doi:10.1007/s00158-007-0215-2
- Phadke MS (1995) Quality engineering using robust design. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- Taguchi G, Wu Y (1980) Introduction to off-line quality control. Central Japan Quality Control Association, NagoyaGoogle Scholar
- Wang L, Beeson D, Wiggs G (2004) Efficient and accurate point estimate method for moments and probability distribution estimation. In: Proceedings of 10th AIAA/ISSMO multidisciplinary analysis and optimization conference, 30 Aug–1 Sep 2004. Albany, New York, USAGoogle Scholar
- Youn BD, Xi Z (2008) Reliability-based robust design optimization using the eigenvector dimension reduction (EDR) method. Struct Multidisc Optim. doi:10.1007/s00158-008-0239-2