Free material optimization for stress constraints
- 342 Downloads
Free material design deals with the question of finding the lightest structure subject to one or more given loads when both the distribution of material and the material itself can be freely varied. We additionally consider constraints on local stresses in the optimal structure. We discuss the choice of formulation of the problem and the stress constraints. The chosen formulation leads to a mathematical program with matrix inequality constraints, so-called nonlinear semidefinite program. We present an algorithm that can solve these problems. The algorithm is based on a generalized augmented Lagrangian method. A number of numerical examples demonstrate the effect of stress constraints in free material optimization.
KeywordsTopology optimization Material optimization Stress based design Nonlinear semidefinite programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Achtziger W, Kanzow C (2005) Mathematical programs with vanishing constraints: Optimality conditions and constraint qualifications. Tech. rep. no. 263, Institute of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, University of Würzburg, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Bendsøe M, Sigmund O (2002) Topology optimization. Theory, methods and applications. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Duff IS, Reid JK (1982) MA27—A set of Fortran subroutines for solving sparse symmetric sets of linear equations. Tech. Report R.10533, AERE, Harwell, Oxfordshire, UKGoogle Scholar
- Fourer R, Gay DM, Kernighan BW (1993) AMPL: A modeling language for mathematical programming. Scientific, South San Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- Kočvara M, Stingl M (2006) On the solution of large-scale SDP problems by the modified barrier method using iterative solvers. Math Program, Ser B (in press)Google Scholar
- Kočvara M, Zowe J (2002) Free material optimization: an overview. In: Siddiqi A, Kočvara M (eds) Trends in industrial and applied mathematics. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 181–215Google Scholar
- Stingl M (2005) On the solution of nonlinear semidefinite programs by augmented lagrangian methods. PhD thesis, Institute of Applied Mathematics II, Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-NurembergGoogle Scholar
- Werme M, Svanberg K (2005) A hierarchical neighbourhood search method for stress-constrained topology optimization. In: Herskovits J, Mazorche S, Canelas A (eds) 6th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, ISSMO–Internat. Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, paper 3211. http://www.wcsmo6.org/authors/final.htm