An adaptive approach to constraint aggregation using adjoint sensitivity analysis
- 521 Downloads
Constraint aggregation is the key for efficient structural optimization when using a gradient-based optimizer and an adjoint method for sensitivity analysis. We explore different methods of constraint aggregation for numerical optimization. We analyze existing approaches, such as considering all constraints individually, taking the maximum of the constraints and using the Kreisselmeier–Steinhauser (KS) function. A new adaptive approach based on the KS function is proposed that updates the aggregation parameter by taking into account the constraint sensitivity. This adaptive approach is shown to significantly increase the accuracy of the results without additional computational cost especially when a large number of constraints are active at the optimum. The characteristics of each aggregation method and the performance of the proposed adaptive approach are shown by solving a wing structure weight minimization problem.
KeywordsConstraint aggregation Constraint handling Adjoint sensitivity analysis Kreisselmeier–Steinhauser function Adaptive constraint aggregation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akgün MA, Haftka RT, Wu KC, Walsh JL (1999) Sensitivity of lumped constraints using the adjoint method. In: Proceedings of the 40th structures, structural dynamics and materials conference, St. Louis, Missouri AIAA Paper 99–1314Google Scholar
- Akgün MA, Haftka RT, Wu KC, Walsh JL, Garcelon JH (2001) Efficient structural optimization for multiple load cases using adjoint sensitivities. AIAA J 39(3):511–516Google Scholar
- Alonso JJ, LeGresley P, van der Weide E, Martins JRRA, Reuther JJ (2004) pyMDO: a framework for high-fidelity multi-disciplinary optimization. AIAA Paper 2004–4480Google Scholar
- Anderson WK, Bonhaus DL (1997) Aerodynamic design on unstructured grids for turbulent. NASA TM-112867, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia 23681-0001Google Scholar
- Haftka RT, Gürdal Z (1993) Elements of structural optimization, 3rd edn. Kluwer, Boston, MAGoogle Scholar
- Kreisselmeier G, Steinhauser R (1979) Systematic control design by optimizing a vector performance index. In: International Federation of Active Controls Symposium on Computer-Aided Design of Control Systems, Zurich, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Martins JRRA, Alonso JJ, Reuther JJ (2005) A coupled-adjoint sensitivity analysis method for high-fidelity aero-structural design. Optim Eng 6(1):33–62. http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/1389-4420/contents zbMATHCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rooney WC, Biegler LT (2002) Optimal process design with model parameter uncertainty and process variability. Technical report, Department of Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PAGoogle Scholar
- Stettner M, Schrage DP (1992) An approach to tiltrotor wing aeroservoelastic optimization. In: 4th AIAA/USAF/NASA/OAI symposium on multidisciplinary analysis and optimization, Cleveland, Ohio. http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/stettner92approach.html
- Wrenn GA (1989) An indirect method for numerical optimization using the Kreisselmeier–Steinhauser function. Technical report CR-4220, NASAGoogle Scholar