Are automated vehicles safer than manually driven cars?
- 595 Downloads
Are automated vehicles really safer than manually driven vehicles? If so, how would we know? Answering this question has spurred a contentious debate. Unfortunately, several issues make answering this question difficult for the foreseeable future. First, how do we measure safety? Second, how can we keep track of automated vehicle (AV) safety? Finally, how do we determine what is or what is not an AV? Until these questions are addressed, it will continue to be difficult to determine whether or when AVs might really be safer than manually driven vehicles.
KeywordsAutomated vehicles Autonomous vehicles Self-driving cars Vehicle safety AV safety Safe self-driving cars Safe automated vehicles Automated vehicle safety
Curmudgeon Corner is a short opinionated column on trends in technology, arts, science and society, commenting on issues of concern to the research community and wider society. Whilst the drive for super-human intelligence promotes potential benefits to wider society, it also raises deep concerns of existential risk, thereby highlighting the need for an ongoing conversation between technology and society. At the core of Curmudgeon concern is the question: What is it to be human in the age of the AI machine? -Editor.
- Blumenthal M (2018) The new AV challenge: creating a universal safety framework. Axios. Retrieved from https://www.axios.com/the-new-av-challenge-creating-a-universal-safety-framework-c506b7c0-0042-4952-b8f6-0336a7b613f9.html
- Bomey N (2018) U. S. vehicle deaths topped 40,000 in 2017, National Safety Council estimates. USA Today. Retrieved from https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/02/15/national-safety-council-traffic-deaths/340012002/
- Hancock P (2018) Are autonomous cars really safer than human drivers? The conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/are-autonomous-cars-really-safer-than-human-drivers-90202
- Marshall A (2018) We’ve been talking about self-driving car safety all wrong. Wired. Retrieved from https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-cars-safety-metrics-miles-disengagements/
- Marx P (2018) Are self-driving cars really safer than human drivers? Medium. https://medium.com/radical-urbanist/are-self-driving-cars-really-safer-than-human-drivers-56a72bde2f41
- McArdle M (2018) How safe are driverless cars? Unfortunately, it’s too soon to tell. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/no-driverless-cars-arent-far-safer-than-human-drivers/2018/03/20/5dc77f42-2ba9-11e8-8ad6-fbc50284fce8_story.html?utm_term=.338b86923961
- Nidhi K, Paddock SM (2016) Driving to safety: how many miles of driving would it take to demonstrate autonomous vehicle reliability. RAND Corp., Santa MonicaGoogle Scholar
- SAE International (2016) Taxonomy and definitions for terms related to driving automation systems for on-road motor vehicles. SAE International, J3016Google Scholar
- Taylor C (2012) Google’s driverless car is now safer than the average driver. Mashable. Retrieved from https://mashable.com/2012/08/07/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-you/
- Turck M (2018) How much safer should self-driving cars be? Try 0%. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchturck/2018/07/09/how-much-safer-should-self-driving-cars-be-try-0/#44f1c4741a84