Improved Ring Oscillator PUF: An FPGA-friendly Secure Primitive
- 982 Downloads
In this paper, we analyze ring oscillator (RO) based physical unclonable function (PUF) on FPGAs. We show that the systematic process variation adversely affects the ability of the RO-PUF to generate unique chip-signatures, and propose a compensation method to mitigate it. Moreover, a configurable ring oscillator (CRO) technique is proposed to reduce noise in PUF responses. Our compensation method could improve the uniqueness of the PUF by an amount as high as 18%. The CRO technique could produce nearly 100% error-free PUF outputs over varying environmental conditions without post-processing while consuming minimum area.
Key wordsRing oscillator Physical unclonable function Challenge–response Process variations (PV) Systematic process variation Uniqueness Reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Sedcole, P.Y.K. Cheung, Within-die delay variability in 90-nm FPGAs and beyond, in Proceedings of International Conference on Field Programmable Technology (IEEE, New York, 2006), pp. 97–104 Google Scholar
- R. Maes, P. Tuyls, I. Verbauwhede, Intrinsic PUFs from flip-flops on reconfigurable devices, in 3rd Benelux Workshop on Information and System Security, 2008 Google Scholar
- B. Gassend, D.E. Clarke, M. van Dijk, S. Devadas, Silicon physical random functions, in Conference on Computer and Communications Security, ed. by V. Atluri (ACM, New York, 2002), pp. 148–160 Google Scholar
- D.S. Boning, S. Nassif, Models of process variations in device and interconnect, in Design of High Performance Microprocessor Circuits, ed. by A. Chandrakasan, W. Bowhill, F. Fox (IEEE Press, New York, 2000), Chap. 6 Google Scholar
- B. Skoric, P. Tuyls, An efficient fuzzy extractor for limited noise, Cryptology ePrint Archive, Publication Number 030, 2009 Google Scholar
- C. Bosch, J. Guajardo, A. Sadeghi, J. Shokrollahi, P. Tuyls, Efficient helper data key extractor on FPGAs, in Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems. LNCS, vol. 5154 (2008), pp. 181–197 Google Scholar
- H. Yu, P.H.W. Leong, H. Hinkelmann, L. Moller, M. Glesner, Towards a unique FPGA-based identification circuit using process variations, in International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications (IEEE Press, New York, 2009), pp. 397–402 Google Scholar
- S. Morozov, A. Maiti, P. Schaumont, An analysis of delay based PUF implementations on FPGA, in 6th International Symposium on Applied Reconfigurable Computing. LNCS, vol. 5992 (2010), pp. 382–387 Google Scholar