Isogenies and the Discrete Logarithm Problem in Jacobians of Genus 3 Hyperelliptic Curves,
- First Online:
- 130 Downloads
We describe the use of explicit isogenies to translate instances of the Discrete Logarithm Problem (DLP) from Jacobians of hyperelliptic genus 3 curves to Jacobians of non-hyperelliptic genus 3 curves, where they are vulnerable to faster index calculus attacks. We provide explicit formulae for isogenies with kernel isomorphic to (ℤ/2ℤ)3 (over an algebraic closure of the base field) for any hyperelliptic genus 3 curve over a field of characteristic not 2 or 3. These isogenies are rational for a positive fraction of all hyperelliptic genus 3 curves defined over a finite field of characteristic p>3. Subject to reasonable assumptions, our constructions give an explicit and efficient reduction of instances of the DLP from hyperelliptic to non-hyperelliptic Jacobians for around 18.57% of all hyperelliptic genus 3 curves over a given finite field. We conclude with a discussion on extending these ideas to isogenies with more general kernels.
KeywordsHyperelliptic curve cryptography Discrete logarithm problem Isogeny Genus 3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Birkenhake, H. Lange, Complex Abelian Varieties (2e), Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, vol. 302 (Springer, Berlin, 2004) Google Scholar
- C. Diem, An index calculus algorithm for plane curves of small degree, in ANTS-VII, ed. by F. Hess, S. Pauli, M. Pohst. LNCS, vol. 4076 (Springer, Berlin, 2006), pp. 543–557 Google Scholar
- R. Donagi, The fibres of the Prym map, in Curves, Jacobians, and Abelian Varieties, Amherst, MA, 1990. Contemp. Math. 136, 55–125 (1992) Google Scholar
- The Magma computational algebra system, http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au/
- J.S. Milne, Abelian varieties, in Arithmetic Geometry, Storrs, Conn., 1984 (Springer, New York, 1986), pp. 103–150 Google Scholar
- J.-P. Serre, Algebraic Curves and Class Fields, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 117 (Springer, Berlin, 1988) Google Scholar
- J. Vélu, Isogénies entre courbes elliptiques. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, Sér. A 273, 305–347 (1971) Google Scholar