Locality preserving and global discriminant projection with prior information
Existing supervised and semi-supervised dimensionality reduction methods utilize training data only with class labels being associated to the data samples for classification. In this paper, we present a new algorithm called locality preserving and global discriminant projection with prior information (LPGDP) for dimensionality reduction and classification, by considering both the manifold structure and the prior information, where the prior information includes not only the class label but also the misclassification of marginal samples. In the LPGDP algorithm, the overlap among the class-specific manifolds is discriminated by a global class graph, and a locality preserving criterion is employed to obtain the projections that best preserve the within-class local structures. The feasibility of the LPGDP algorithm has been evaluated in face recognition, object categorization and handwritten Chinese character recognition experiments. Experiment results show the superior performance of data modeling and classification to other techniques, such as linear discriminant analysis, locality preserving projection, discriminant locality preserving projection and marginal Fisher analysis.
KeywordsLocality preserving and global discriminant projection Prior information Dimensionality reduction Face recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Belkin, M., Niyogi, P.: Laplacian eigenmaps and spectral tech- niques for embedding and clustering. In: Proceedings of NIPS’ 0115 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, H.T., Chang, H.W., Liu, T.L.: Local discriminant embedding and its variants. In: Proceedings of CVPR’05 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Hu, J., Deng, W., Guo, J., Xu, W.: Locality discriminant indexing for document classification. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGIR’07, pp. 689–690 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Vasconcelos, N., Ho, P., Moreno, P.: The Kullback–Leibler kernel as a framework for discriminant and localized representations for visual recognition. In: Proceedings of Eighth European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. III, pp. 430–441(2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang, H.-G., Yang, J., Deng, W.H., Guo, J.: Handwritten Chinese character recognition using local discriminant projection with prior information. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR’08), Florida (2008)Google Scholar