Understanding antibiotic stewardship for the critically ill
- 1.6k Downloads
Antibiotic stewardship is regarded as one of the key strategies to improve antibiotic therapy in hospital. The aims of antibiotic stewardship are to combat the emergence of antibiotic-resistant strains, to improve clinical outcomes and to control costs . Although more rigorous research is needed, available evidence suggests that antimicrobial stewardship is associated with improved antimicrobial utilization in the intensive care unit (ICU), with corresponding improvements in antimicrobial resistance and adverse events , and implementation of antibiotic stewardship programs (ASPs) has been recommended by different societies and agencies .
Optimizing antibiotic use in the ICU is particularly important for a number of reasons. First of all, there is a high incidence of difficult to treat infections due to an increase of antibiotic resistance from both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria . Also, antibiotic use is high with more than 70 % of patients being treated with...
KeywordsIntensive Care Unit Severe Sepsis Procalcitonin Antibiotic Regimen Antimicrobial Stewardship
Jan J. De Waele is a Senior Clinical Researcher with the Research Foundation Flanders (Belgium).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Bassetti M, De Waele JJ, Eggimann P, Garnacho-Montero J, Kahlmeter G, Menichetti F, Nicolau DP, Paiva JA, Tumbarello M, Welte T, Wilcox M, Zahar JR, Poulakou G (2015) Preventive and therapeutic strategies in critically ill patients with highly resistant bacteria. Intensive Care Med 41:776–795CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.(2010) ASHP statement on the pharmacist’s role in antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control. Am J Health Syst Pharm 67:575–577Google Scholar
- 8.Huang AM, Newton D, Kunapuli A, Gandhi TN, Washer LL, Isip J, Collins CD, Nagel JL (2013) Impact of rapid organism identification via matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight combined with antimicrobial stewardship team intervention in adult patients with bacteremia and candidemia. Clin Infect Dis 57:1237–1245CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Douglas IS, Jaeschke R, Osborn TM, Nunnally ME, Townsend SR, Reinhart K, Kleinpell RM, Angus DC, Deutschman CS, Machado FR, Rubenfeld GD, Webb S, Beale RJ, Vincent JL, Moreno R (2013) Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012. Intensive Care Med 39:165–228CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Flottorp S, Oxman A, Krause J, Musila N, Wensing M, Godycki-Cwirko M, Baker R, Eccles M (2013) A checklist for identifying determinants of practice: a systematic review and synthesis of frameworks and taxonomies of factors that prevent or enable improvements in healthcare professional practice. Implement Sci 8:35CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Elligsen M, Walker SA, Pinto R, Simor A, Mubareka S, Rachlis A, Allen V, Daneman N (2012) Audit and feedback to reduce broad-spectrum antibiotic use among intensive care unit patients: a controlled interrupted time series analysis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 33:354–361CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar