Middle East respiratory syndrome
Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) is due to RNA betacoronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection. By February 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) had received reports of 181 laboratory-confirmed cases in the Middle East, Europe and Northern Africa, with all having connections to the Middle East. The median age is 52 years, with male predominance (64.5 %) . Severe cases deteriorate rapidly: median time from symptom onset to ICU admission is 2 days and to intubation is 4.5–6 days, with an ICU admission rate of 51.6 % [2, 3]. Mortality amongst critically ill ventilated patients is high with a 28-day mortality of 42 % and a 90-day mortality of 58 %. The median ICU stay is 30 days .
The apparent epidemiology may be biased by selective reporting of more severe cases and the small total number of patients makes it susceptible to distortion by individual outbreaks. For example, 23 of the 181 cases were in a single outbreak involving three healthcare facilities, including a...
KeywordsPersonal Protective Equipment Infection Control Measure Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Basic Reproductive Number Conjunctival Swab
Conflicts of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.The WHO MERS-CoV Research Group (2013) State of knowledge and data gaps of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in humans. PLoS Curr 5. pii: ecurrents.outbreaks.0bf719e352e7478f8ad85fa30127ddb8Google Scholar
- 2.Arabi YM, Arifi AA, Balkhy HH, Najm H, Aldawood AS, Ghabashi A, Hawa H, Alothman A, Khaldi A, Al Raly B (2014) Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection. Ann Intern Med 160(6):389–397Google Scholar
- 3.Assiri A, Al Tawfiq JA, Al Rabeeah AA, Al Rabiah FA, Al Hajjar S, Al Barrak A, Flemban H, Al Nassir WN, Balkhy HH, Al Hakeem RF, Makhdoom HQ, Zumla AI, Memish ZA (2013) Epidemiological, demographic, and clinical characteristics of 47 cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus disease from Saudi Arabia: a descriptive study. Lancet Infect Dis 13:752–761PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Assiri A, McGeer A, Perl TM, Price CS, Al Rabeeah AA, Cummings DAT, Alabdullatif ZN, Assad M, Almulhim A, Makhdoom H, Madani H, Alhakeem R, Al Tawfiq JA, Cotten M, Watson SJ, Kellam P, Zumla AI, Memish ZA (2013) Hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. N Engl J Med 369:407–416PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.WHO (2014) Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) summary and literature update—as of 20 January 2014. http://www.who.int/csr/disease/coronavirus_infections/archive_updates/en/. Accessed 5 Mar 2014
- 6.Memish ZA, Mishra N, Olival KJ, Fagbo SF, Kapoor V, Epstein JH, Alhakeem R, Durosinloun A, Al Asmari M, Islam A, Kapoor A, Briese T, Daszak P, Al Rabeeah AA, Lipkin WI (2013) Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in bats, Saudi Arabia. Emerg Infect Dis 19:1819–1823PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chu DKW, Poon LLM, Gomaa MM, Shehata MM, Perera RAPM, Abu Zeid D, El Rifay AS, Siu LY, Guan Y, Webby RJ, Ali MA, Peiris M, Kayali G (2014) MERS coronaviruses in dromedary camels, Egypt. Emerg Infect Dis. doi: 10.3201/eid2006.140299
- 8.Cauchemez S, Fraser C, Van Kerkhove MD, Donnelly CA, Riley S, Rambaut A, Enouf V, van der Werf S, Ferguson NM (2014) Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus: quantification of the extent of the epidemic, surveillance biases, and transmissibility. Lancet Infect Dis 14:50–56PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hocke AC, Becher A, Knepper J, Peter A, Holland G, Tönnies M, Bauer TT, Schneider P, Neudecker J, Muth D, Wendtner CM, Rückert JC, Drosten C, Gruber AD, Laue M, Suttorp N, Hippenstiel S, Wolff T (2013) Emerging human Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus causes widespread infection and alveolar damage in human lungs. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 188:882–886PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Drosten C, Seilmaier M, Corman VM, Hartmann W, Scheible G, Sack S, Guggemos W, Kallies R, Muth D, Junglen S, Muller MA, Haas W, Guberina H, Rohnisch T, Schmid-Wendtner M, Aldabbagh S, Dittmer U, Gold H, Graf P, Bonin F, Rambaut A, Wendtner CM (2013) Clinical features and virological analysis of a case of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection. Lancet Infect Dis 13:745–751PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar