Predicting non-invasive ventilation failure in children from the SpO2/FiO2 (SF) ratio
- 1.3k Downloads
Our objective was to assess whether SpO2/FiO2 (SF) ratio could be a useful NIV outcome predictor in children with acute respiratory failure (ARF) and tried to develop a predictive model of NIV failure.
Prospective, observational, multicenter study. Episodes of ARF-fulfilling inclusion criteria from 15 January 2010 to 14 January 2011 were treated with NIV according to a pre-established protocol. Clinical variables were collected at baseline and at 1, 2, 6, 12 and 24 h. Failure criterion was the need for endotracheal intubation. Failures were considered as “early” if occurring ≤6 h after NIV initiation, “intermediate” if occurring between 6 and 24 h, and “late” if occurring after 24 h. Variables with a p < 0.1 in univariate analysis corrected by age were included in multivariate analysis. Models were calculated based on multivariate analysis.
During the study period, 390 episodes were included. NIV success rate was 81.3 %. Among ARF causes, failure occurred most frequently in ARDS episodes. The failure predictive model for the whole sample included SF ratio at 1 h, age and PRISM III-24 (area under the curve AUC of 0.755). For early NIV failures, SF ratio at 1 h was the only variable within model (AUC 0.748). The analysis of intermediate NIV failures identified 3 variables independently linked to NIV outcome: PRISM III-24, RR decrease at 6 h, and SF ratio at 6 h (AUC 0.895). No model was identified for late NIV failure.
SF ratio is a reliable predictor of early NIV failure in children.
KeywordsNon invasive positive-pressure ventilation Acute respiratory failure Clinical markers Hypoxemia Mechanical ventilation Pediatrics
Authors would like to thank all residents and PICU nurse and medical staff for their invaluable support. Also thanks to Paul Harris and Wee Tan for their style corrections.
- 2.Yanez LJ, Yunge M, Emilfork M, Lapadula M, Alcántara A, Fernández C, Lozano J, Contreras M, Conto L, Arevalo C, Gayan A, Hernández F, Pedraza M, Feddersen M, Bejares M, Morales M, Mallea F, Glasinovic M, Cavada G (2008) A prospective, randomized, controlled trial of noninvasive ventilation in pediatric acute respiratory failure. Pediatr Crit Care Med 9:484–489PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Antonelli M, Conti G, Moro ML, Esquinas A, Gonzalez-Diaz G, Confalonieri M, Pelaia P, Principi T, Gregoretti C, Beltrame F, Pennisi MA, Arcangeli A, Proietti R, Passariello M, Meduri GU (2001) Predictors of failure of noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in patients with acute hypoxemic respiratory failure: a multi-center study. Intensive Care Med 27:1718–1728PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Antonelli M, Conti G, Esquinas A, Montini L, Maggiore SM, Bello G, Rocco M, Maviglia R, Pennisi MA, Gonzalez-Diaz G, Meduri GU (2007) A multiple-center survey on the use in clinical practice of noninvasive ventilation as a first-line intervention for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med 35:18–25PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Khemani RG, Thomas NJ, Venkatachalam V, Scimeme JP, Berutti T, Schneider JB, Ross PA, Willson DF, Hall MW, Newth CJ (2012) Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Network Investigators (PALISI) Comparison of SpO2 to PaO2 based markers of lung disease severity for children with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 40:1309–1316PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Cosentini R, Brambilla AM, Aliberti S, Bignamini A, Nava S, Maffei A, Martinotti R, Tarsia P, Monzani V, Pelosi P (2010) Helmet continuous positive airway pressure vs oxygen therapy to improve oxygenation in community-acquired pneumonia: a randomized, controlled trial. Chest 138:114–120PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Leteurtre S, Dupré M, Dorkenoo A, Lampin ME, Leclerc F (2011) Assessment of the Pediatric Index of Mortality 2 with the Pao2/Fio2 ratio derived from the Spo2/Fio2 ratio: a prospective pilot study in a French pediatric intensive care unit. Pediatr Crit Care Med 12:e184–e186PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Pandharipande PP, Shintani AK, Hagerman HE, St Jacques PJ, Rice TW, Sanders NW, Ware LB, Bernard GR, Ely EW (2009) Derivation and validation of Spo2/Fio2 ratio to impute for Pao2/Fio2 ratio in the respiratory component of the Sequential Organ Failure Assessment score. Crit Care Med 37:1317–1321PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Medina A, Pons M, Martinón-Torres F (2009) Non-invasive ventilation in pediatrics, 2nd edn. Ergon, MadridGoogle Scholar