Causes and risk factors of death in patients with thrombotic microangiopathies
- 517 Downloads
Although plasma therapy of thrombotic micro-angiopathies (TMAs) has dramatically improved survival, the outcome remains fatal in up to 15 % of patients. We investigated the causes and risk factors of death in patients with TMA.
Retrospective matched case–control national-registry study of 57 patients who died within 180 days of TMA diagnosis and 48 survivors matched on age, gender, and baseline platelet count and creatinine level. The study period was 1995–2007. Factors associated with mortality were identified using a conditional logistic regression model.
Median time from TMA symptom onset to death was 7 (5–14) days. The leading causes of death were nosocomial infections, myocardial infarction, stroke, and pulmonary embolism. Cases and controls did not differ significantly regarding haemolysis parameters, ADAMTS13 activity, or neurological or gastrointestinal involvement. TMA was more frequently related to HIV or cancer in patients who died. Compared to survivors, non-survivors more often had cardiac involvement at diagnosis (38 vs. 6 %, p = 0.03) and less often received plasma exchange therapy (60 vs. 92 %, p = 0.004). Only two factors were independently associated with mortality by multivariate analysis: cardiac involvement at diagnosis (odds ratio, 5.96; 95 % confidence interval, 1.06–33.4) and plasma exchange therapy (odds ratio, 0.25; 95 % confidence interval, 0.06–0.99).
Our data emphasise the adverse prognostic significance of cardiac abnormalities and support routine plasma exchange in patients with TMA. Given the high risk of cardiac and neurological complications, adequate monitoring should be proposed to these patients in appropriate hospital settings.
KeywordsHaemostasis disorders Transfusion
Supported by a grant from the Assistance-Publique Hôpitaux de Paris.
- 6.Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M, Remuzzi G, Kyrle PA, Brenner B, Krause M, Scharrer I, Aumann V, Mittler U, Solenthaler M, Lammle B (1998) von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome. N Engl J Med 339:1578–1584PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Malak S, Wolf M, Millot GA, Mariotte E, Veyradier A, Meynard JL, Korach JM, Malot S, Bussel A, Azoulay E, Boulanger E, Galicier L, Devaux E, Eschwège V, Gallien S, Adrie C, Schlemmer B, Rondeau E, Coppo P, des Microangiopathies Thrombotiques (TMA-Rare Diseases Reference Center) (2008) Human immunodeficiency virus-associated thrombotic microangiopathies: clinical characteristics and outcome according to ADAMTS13 activity. Scand J Immunol 68:337–344PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Coppo P, Bussel A, Charrier S, Adrie C, Galicier L, Boulanger E, Veyradier A, Leblanc T, Alberti C, Azoulay E, Le Gall JR, Schlemmer B (2003) High-dose plasma infusion versus plasma exchange as early treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Medicine (Baltimore) 82:27–38CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Darmon M, Azoulay E, Thiery G, Ciroldi M, Galicier L, Parquet N, Veyradier A, Le Gall JR, Oksenhendler E, Schlemmer B (2006) Time course of organ dysfunction in thrombotic microangiopathy patients receiving either plasma perfusion or plasma exchange. Crit Care Med 34:2127–2133PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Coppo P, Bengoufa D, Veyradier A, Wolf M, Bussel A, Millot GA, Malot S, Heshmati F, Mira JP, Boulanger E, Galicier L, Durey-Dragon MA, Fremeaux-Bacchi V, Ramakers M, Pruna A, Bordessoule D, Gouilleux V, Scrobohaci ML, Vernant JP, Moreau D, Azoulay E, Schlemmer B, Guillevin L, Lassoued K (2004) Severe ADAMTS13 deficiency in adult idiopathic thrombotic microangiopathies defines a subset of patients characterized by various autoimmune manifestations, lower platelet count, and mild renal involvement. Medicine (Baltimore) 83:233–244CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Brand J (1999) Development, implementation and evaluation of multiple imputation strategies for the statistical analysis of incomplete data sets. Leiden and Erasmus University, RotterdamGoogle Scholar
- 25.Bobbio-Pallavicini E, Gugliotta L, Centurioni R, Porta C, Vianelli N, Billio A, Tacconi F, Ascari E (1997) Antiplatelet agents in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). Results of a randomized multicenter trial by the Italian Cooperative Group for TTP. Haematologica 82:429–435PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Benhamou Y, Assie’ C, Boelle PY, Buffet M, Grillberger R, Malot S, Wynckel A, Presne C, Choukroun G, Poullin P, Provôt F, Gruson D, Hamidou M, Bordessoule D, Pourrat J, Mira JP, Le Guern V, Pouteil-Noble C, Daubin C, Vanhille P, Rondeau E, Palcoux JB, Mousson C, Vigneau C, Bonmarchand G, Guidet B, Galicier L, Azoulay E, Rottensteiner H, Veyradier A, Coppo P (2012) Development and validation of a predictive model for death in acquired severe ADAMTS13 deficiency-associated idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: the French TMA Reference Center experience. Haematologica (Epub ahead of print)Google Scholar