Concomitant arginine-vasopressin and hydrocortisone therapy in severe septic shock: association with mortality
- 491 Downloads
To evaluate the association between concomitant arginine-vasopressin (AVP)/hydrocortisone therapy and mortality in severe septic shock patients.
This retrospective study included severe septic shock patients treated with supplementary AVP. To test the association between concomitant AVP/hydrocortisone use and mortality, a multivariate regression and Cox model (adjusted for admission year, initial AVP dosage and the Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment score before AVP) as well as a propensity score-based analysis were used. In both models, intensive care unit (ICU) and 28-day mortality served as outcome variables.
One hundred fifty-nine patients were included. Hydrocortisone was administered to 76 (47.8%) at a median daily dosage of 300 (200–300) mg. In the multivariate logistic regression model, concomitant use of AVP and hydrocortisone was associated with a trend towards lower ICU (OR, 0.51; CI 95%, 0.24–1.08; p = 0.08) and 28-day (HR, 0.69; CI 95%, 0.43–1.08; p = 0.11) mortality. The probability of survival at day 28, as predicted by the regression model, was significantly higher in patients treated with concomitant AVP and hydrocortisone compared to those receiving AVP without hydrocortisone (p = 0.001). In a propensity score-based analysis, ICU (45 vs. 65%; OR, 0.69; CI 95% 0.38–1.26; p = 0.23) and 28-day mortality (35.5 vs. 55%; OR, 0.59; CI 95%, 0.27–1.29; p = 0.18) was not different between patients treated with (n = 40) or without concomitant hydrocortisone (n = 40).
Concomitant AVP and hydrocortisone therapy may be associated with a survival benefit in septic shock. An adequately powered, randomised controlled trial appears warranted to confirm these preliminary, hypothesis-generating results.
KeywordsArginine–vasopressin Hydrocortisone Septic shock Mortality
- 5.Russell JA, Walley KR, Gordon AC, Cooper J, Hebert PC, Singer J, Holmes CL, Mehta S, Granton JT, Storms MM, Cook DJ, Presneill JJ, Ayers D, for the VASST investigators (2009) Interaction of vasopressin infusion, corticosteroid treatment, and mortality of septic shock. Crit Care Med 37:811–818PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Torgersen C, Dünser MW, Wenzel V, Jochberger S, Mayr V, Schmittinger CA, Lorenz I, Schmid S, Westphal M, Grander W, Luckner G (2010) Comparing two different vasopressin doses in advanced vasodilatory shock: a randomized, controlled, open-label trial. Intensive Care Med 36:57–65PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Dellinger RP, Carlet JM, Masur H, Gerlach H, Calandra T, Cohen J, Gea-Banacloche J, Keh D, Marshall JC, Parker MM, Ramsay G, Zimmerman JL, Vincent JL, Levy MM (2004) Surviving Sepsis Campaign guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock. Intensive Care Med 30:536–555PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Carlet JM, Bion J, Parker MM, Jaeschke R, Reinhart K, Angus DC, Brun-Buisson C, Beale R, Calandra T, Dhainaut JF, Gerlach H, Harvey M, Marini JJ, Marshall J, Ranieri M, Ramsay G, Sevransky J, Thompson BT, Townsend S, Vender JS, Zimmerman JL, Vincent JL (2008) Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008. Intensive Care Med 34:17–60PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Vincent JL, Moreno R, Takala J, Willatts S, De Mendonça A, Bruining H, Reinhart CK, Suter PM, Thijs LG, on behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (1996) The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. Intensive Care Med 22:707–710PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Annane D, Sébille V, Charpentier C, Bollaert PE, Francois B, Korach JM, Capellier G, Cohen Y, Azoulay E, Troché G, Chaumet-Riffaud P, Bellissant E (2002) Effect of treatment with low doses of hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone on mortality in patients with septic shock. JAMA 288:862–871PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Sprung CL, Annane D, Keh D, Moreno R, Singer M, Freivogel K, Weiss YG, Benbenishty J, Kalenka A, Forst H, Laterre PF, Reinhart K, Cuthbertson BH, Payen D, Briegel J, CORTICUS Study Group (2008) Hydrocortisone therapy for patients with septic shock. N Engl J Med 358:111–124PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar