Psychiatric disorders and the ICU: gaps and opportunities
- 130 Downloads
One of three ICU patients has a pre-existing psychiatric disorder, according to a retrospective analysis presented in this issue of Intensive Care Medicine . Suchyta and coworkers report substance dependence (alcohol or drug addiction) in one of five ICU patients, and an identical rate of other psychiatric disorders, predominantly depression.
Do you know the percentage of patients with psychiatric disorders on your ICU? We do not. A systematic search in Medline yields a remarkable dearth of evidence for psychiatric disorders on intensive care units. Epidemiologic data on the whole spectrum of psychiatric disease seem to be limited to a single small report, on 96 consecutive admissions to a coronary care unit in Colombia . Of specific conditions, only alcohol dependence has been studied in more detail [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9].
In contrast to ICUs, epidemiology in the general European population has been defined with notable detail. The 1-year prevalence of any psychiatric disorder...
- 1.Suchyta M, Beck C, Key C, Jephson A, Hopkins R (2008) Substance Dependence and Psychiatric Disorders are Related to Outcomes in a Mixed ICU Population. Intensive Care Med. doi: 10.1007/s00134-008-1263-9
- 2.Rincon HG, Granados M, Unutzer J, Gomez M, Duran R, Badiel M, Salas C, Martinez J, Mejia J, Ordonez C, Florez N, Rosso F, Echeverri P (2001) Prevalence, detection and treatment of anxiety, depression, and delirium in the adult critical care unit. Psychosomatics 42:391–396PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Moss M, Parsons PE, Steinberg KP, Hudson LD, Guidot DM, Burnham EL, Eaton S, Cotsonis GA (2003) Chronic alcohol abuse is associated with an increased incidence of acute respiratory distress syndrome and severity of multiple organ dysfunction in patients with septic shock. Crit Care Med 31:869–877PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Spies CD, Neuner B, Neumann T, Blum S, Muller C, Rommelspacher H, Rieger A, Sanft C, Specht M, Hannemann L, Striebel HW, Schaffartzik W (1996) Intercurrent complications in chronic alcoholic men admitted to the intensive care unit following trauma. Intensive Care Med 22:286–293PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Demyttenaere K, Bruffaerts R, Posada-Villa J, Gasquet I, Kovess V, Lepine JP, Angermeyer MC, Bernert S, de Girolamo G, Morosini P, Polidori G, Kikkawa T, Kawakami N, Ono Y, Takeshima T, Uda H, Karam EG, Fayyad JA, Karam AN, Mneimneh ZN, Medina-Mora ME, Borges G, Lara C, de Graaf R, Ormel J, Gureje O, Shen Y, Huang Y, Zhang M, Alonso J, Haro JM, Vilagut G, Bromet EJ, Gluzman S, Webb C, Kessler RC, Merikangas KR, Anthony JC, Von Korff MR, Wang PS, Brugha TS, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Lee S, Heeringa S, Pennell BE, Zaslavsky AM, Ustun TB, Chatterji S (2004) Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. JAMA 291:2581–2590PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Fleischhacker WW, Cetkovich-Bakmas M, De Hert M, Hennekens CH, Lambert M, Leucht S, Maj M, McIntyre RS, Naber D, Newcomer JW, Olfson M, Osby U, Sartorius N, Lieberman JA (2008) Comorbid somatic illnesses in patients with severe mental disorders: clinical, policy, and research challenges. J Clin Psychiatry 69:514–519PubMedGoogle Scholar