Refractory intracranial hypertension and “second-tier” therapies in traumatic brain injury
- 762 Downloads
To quantify the occurrence of high intracranial pressure (HICP) refractory to conventional medical therapy after traumatic brain injury (TBI) and to describe the use of more aggressive therapies (profound hyperventilation, barbiturates, decompressive craniectomy).
Prospective study of 407 consecutive TBI patients
Three neurosurgical intensive care units (ICU).
Measurements and results
Intracranial pressure (ICP) was studied during the first week after TBI; 153 patients had at least 1 day of ICP > 20 mmHg. Early surgery was necessary for 221 cases, and standard medical therapy [sedation, mannitol, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) withdrawal, PaCO2 30–35 mmHg] was used in 135 patients. Reinforced treatment (PaCO2 25–29 mmHg, induced arterial hypertension, muscle relaxants) was used in 179 cases (44%), and second-tier therapies in 80 (20%). Surgical decompression and/or barbiturates were used in 28 of 407 cases (7%). Six-month outcome was recorded in 367 cases using the Glasgow outcome scale (GOS). The outcome was favorable (good recovery or moderate disability) in 195 cases (53%) and unfavorable (all the other categories) in 172 (47%). HICP was associated with worse outcome. Outcome for cases who had received second-tier therapies was significantly worse (43% favorable at 6 months, p = 0.03).
HICP is frequent and is associated with worse outcome. ICP was controlled by early surgery and first-tier therapies in the majority of cases. Profound hyperventilation, surgical decompression and barbiturates were used in various combinations in a minority of cases. The indications for surgical decompression and/or barbiturates seem restricted to less than 10% of severe TBI.
KeywordsIntracranial pressure Surgical decompression Barbiturates Hyperventilation Outcome Traumatic brain injury
We gratefully acknowledge the contribution of Manuela Cormio MD to the development of the first version of the database and the assistance of Emiliana Calappi MD, Cristina Mattioli MD and Sara Cazzaniga BD in data collection.
- 1.Marmarou A, Anderson RL, Ward JD, Choi SC, Young HF (1991) Impact of ICP instability and hypotension on outcome in patients with severe head trauma. J Neurosurg 75:s59–66Google Scholar
- 5.No authors (1988) Cranial decompression. Lancet 1:1204Google Scholar
- 13.Hukkelhoven CW, Steyerberg GW, Farace E, Marshall LF (2000) Regional differences in patient characteristics, case management, and outcomes in traumatic brain injury: experience from the tirilazad trials. J Neurosurg 97:549–557Google Scholar
- 16.Roberts I, Schierhout G (2004) Hyperventilation therapy for acute traumatic brain injury (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library issue 1, Wiley, Chichester, UKGoogle Scholar
- 18.Coles JP, Minhas PS, Fryer TD, Smielewski P, Aigbirihio F, Donovan T, Downey SP, Williams G, Chatfield D, Matthews JC, Gupta AK, Carpenter TA, Clark JC, Pickard JD, Menon DK (2002) Effect of hyperventilation on cerebral blood flow in traumatic head injury: clinical relevance and monitoring correlates. Crit Care Med 30:1950–1959PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Roberts I (2000) Barbiturates for acute traumatic brain injury. Cochrane Database Syst Rev(2):CD000033Google Scholar
- 21.Schalen W, Messeter K, Nordstrom CH (1992) Complications and side effects during thiopentone therapy in patients with severe head injury. Acta Anaesthesiol Scan 36:369–377Google Scholar
- 25.Sahuquillo J, Arikan F (2006) Decompressive craniectomy for the treatment of refractory high intracranial pressure in traumatic brain injury. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (1):CD003983Google Scholar
- 26.Compagnone C, Murray GD, Teasdale GM, Maas AI, Esposito D, Princi P, D'Avella D, Servadei F (2005) The management of patients with intradural post-traumatic mass lesions: a multicenter survey of current approaches to surgical management in 729 patients, coordinated by the European Brain Injury Consortium. Neurosurgery 57:1183–1192PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia. Trauma treatment trial for new research center [updated Nov 2003]. Available from: http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/humanservicesnews/nov03/trauma.html
- 34.The RESCUEicp study. University of Cambridge Departments of Neurosurgery / Neuro-intensive Care and the European Brain Injury Consortium. Available from: http://www.rescueicp.com/contacts.html