Identification of Differentially Expressed Genes of Rice Under Cadmium Stress Using DDRT-PCR Approach
Cadmium (Cd) is one of the hazardous environmental pollutants, and it can be harmful to human health through consumption of food-plants capable of bioaccumulating Cd. Therefore, lowering cadmium accumulation in plants is highly desirable. Here, a rice cultivar ‘Qisanzhan’ was studied using differential display reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (DDRT-PCR). Fifty-six differentially expressed genes were found in the root tips of 4-leaf stage rice seedlings exposed to 4 and 12 h of 50 µmol/L Cd(NO3)2 in a nutrient solution using DDRT-PCR. Further validation using semi-quantitative RT-PCR showed that the expression patterns of 16 genes were consistent with those found in DDRT-PCR. These genes encode receptor-like protein kinase, pleiotropic drug resistance protein, aquaporin protein, plasma membrane ATPase, etc. The differentially genes identified here can be used to obtain a better understanding of the molecular mechanisms of Cd absorption and accumulation in plants.
KeywordsCadmium DDRT-PCR Differential gene expression Rice sqRT-PCR
We sincerely thank Dr. David Leung (University of Canterbury, New Zealand) for his critical reading and editing of this manuscript. This work was sponsored by the Research Team Project of the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province (2016A030312009), NSFC-Guangdong Joint Fund (U1501233), the Science and Technology Program of Guangzhou, China (201707010032) and the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry, China (1108).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Dang ZH, Qi Q, Zhang HR, Li HY, Wu SB, Wang YC (2014) Identification of salt stress induced genes from the RNA-Seq data of Reaumuria trigyna using differential-display reverse transcription PCR. Int J Genom 2014:381501Google Scholar
- Stein M, Dittgen J, Sanchez-Rodriguez C, Hou BH, Molina A, Schulze-Lefert P, Lipka V, Somerville S (2006) Arabidopsis PEN3/PDR8, an ATP binding cassette transporter, contributes to nonhost resistance to inappropriate pathogens that enter by direct penetration. Plant Cell 18:731–746CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu QT, Chen L, Wang GS (1999) Differences on Cd uptake and accumulation among rice cultivars and its mechanism. Acta Ecol Sinica 19:104–107Google Scholar
- Yin XY, Hou XW (2017) Role of OsWAK124, a rice wall-associated kinase, in response to environmental heavy metal stresses. Pak J Bot 49:1255–1261Google Scholar
- Zhu X, He H, Jiang WJ, Wang JM, Li XF, Yang Y (2009) Phenotypic analysis of glutamyl-tRNA synthetase in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana and researches on abiotic resistance of transgenic plants. J Sichuan Univ 46:838–842Google Scholar