Degradation Dynamics of Halosulfuron-methyl in Two Textured Soils
A laboratory experiment was conducted to study the degradation dynamics of halosulfuron-methyl residues in sandy loam and clay loam soil. The herbicide formulation was applied at 0.034 and 0.068 mg kg− 1 equivalent to field application dose of 67.5 and 135 g a.i. ha− 1 as single and double dose respectively. Soil samples were collected on 0 (1 h), 1, 3, 7, 10, 15, 30 and 45 days after treatments. Extraction was done using modified QuEChERS method. Residues were estimated by UPLC coupled with quadrupole Dalton mass detector. Average recoveries ranged from 85.5% to 94.5% for both soils at different fortification levels of 0.005 to 0.1 mg kg− 1 with limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) as 0.001 and 0.005 mg kg− 1, respectively. Dissipation followed first order kinetics with half-life of 8.4 to 10.7 days in both soil at two doses. The residues reached below LOQ of 0.005 mg kg− 1 after 45 days of herbicide application.
KeywordsHalosulfuron-methyl Residues Soil QuEChERS UPLC–QDa
The authors are thankful to Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi and Directorate of Weed Research, Jabalpur India for providing necessary facilities and financial support during the study.
- Azania CAM, Rolim JC, Azania AAPM (2008) Plantas daninhas. In: Dinardo-Miranda LL, Vasconcelos ACM, Landell MGA (eds) Canade-de-acucar. Inst Agron, Campinas, p 465–490Google Scholar
- Hoskins WM (1961) Mathematical treatment of loss of pesticide residues. Plant Prot Bull (FAO) 9:163–168Google Scholar
- Lozowicka B, Micinski J, Zwierzchowski G, Kowalski IM, Szafarek J (2012) Cereal grain and feed material containing residues of plant protection chemicals and their effects on human and animal health. Pol J Environ Stud 21:181–190Google Scholar
- Pandey J, Singh RP (1994) Effect of sulfonylurea herbicides on weed control in wheat (Triticum aestivum). Indian J Agron 39:565–568Google Scholar
- Rajasekharam C, Ramesh A (2013) Adsorption and degradation of herbicide halosulfuron-methyl in Indian soils. J Ecol Environ Sci 2(1):40–46Google Scholar
- Wang Y, Du L, Zhou X, Tan H, Bai L, Zeng D, Tian H (2012) QuEChERS extraction for high performance liquid chromatographic determination of pyrazosulfuron-ethyl in soil. J Chem Soc Pak 34(1):104–114Google Scholar
- Zhong HJ, Liu JX, Wu XJ, Dong XH, Cai M (2011) The dissipation and residues of 75% WDG halosulfuron-methyl in maize and soil. J Agrochem 50:906–908Google Scholar
- Amrein J, Gerber HR (1985) CGA 131036—a new herbicide for broadleaved weed control in cereals. In; British crop protection conference, weeds, p 55–62Google Scholar
- Beyer EM, Brown HM, Duffy MJ (1987) Sulfonylurea herbicide soil relations. In: Proceedings of the British crop protection conference—weeds. University of Wisconsin, BCPC Publication, p 531–540Google Scholar
- Document No. SANCO/10684/2009 (2009) Method validation and quality control procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed. European Commission, Directorate General Health and Consumer Protection 8:14Google Scholar