Emission of Unintentionally Produced Persistent Organic Pollutants from Some Industrial Processes in Northern Vietnam
Concentrations of PCDD/Fs, dioxin-like PCBs (dl-PCBs), PeCB and HCB were determined in flue gas, fly ash and bottom ash samples collected from brick production, steel production, and zinc production plants, an industrial waste incinerator and a medical waste incinerator in northern Vietnam to understand the contamination levels, accumulation patterns and extent of emission. Total TEQs concentrations of PCDD/Fs and dl-PCBs in flue gas and ash samples from these industrial plants ranged from 0.304 to 50.55 pg/Nm3 and 1.43 to 440 pg/g, respectively. PeCB and HCB residues in flue gas samples ranged from 0.839 to 46.59 ng/Nm3 and 1.16 to 60.5 ng/Nm3, respectively. The emission factors of 4.8–740 ngTEQs/tonne for PCDD/Fs and dl-PCBs, 67.12–240.7 µg/ton for PeCB and 11.64–889.3 µg/ton for HCB were obtained in flue gas samples. This is among the first reports on the emission factor of PCDD/Fs, dl-PCBs, PeCB, HCB in brick production, zinc production and waste incineration in Vietnam.
KeywordsPCDD/Fs Pentachlorobenzene Hexachlorobenzene Metallurgy Waste incineration Vietnam
The authors wish to acknowledge financial support from the Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under the grant number 104.04-2015.45. We also wish to thank the various industrial facilities for their kind cooperation and support for collection of flue gas and ash samples.
- Broman D, Rolff C, Naf C, Zebuhr Y, Fry B, Hobbie J (1992) Using ratios of stable nitrogen isotopes to estimate bioaccumulation and flux of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDDs) and dibenzofurans (PCDFs) in two food chains from the Northern Baltic. Environ Toxicol Chem 11:331–345CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EPA (1994a) Method 1613: tetra-through octa-chlorinated dioxins and furans by isotope dilution HRGC/HRMSGoogle Scholar
- EPA (1994b) Method 8121: chlorinated hydrocarbons by gas chromatography-capillary column techniqueGoogle Scholar
- EPA (2008) Method 1668B: chlorinated biphenyl congeners in water, soil, sediment, biosolids, and tissue by HRGC/HRMSGoogle Scholar
- EPA (2017) Method 23: determination of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxin and polychlorinated dibenzofurans from stationary sourcesGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Lv Z, Du L, Li X, Hu X, Wang C, Niu Z, Zhang Y (2017) Emission characteristic of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDD/Fs) from medical waste incinerators (MWIs) in China in 2016: a comparison between higher emission levels of MWIs and lower emission levels of MWIs. Environ Pollut 221:437–444CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vietnam technical regulation on emission of industrial waste incinerators (2010) QCVN 30: 2010/BTNMT. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment VietnamGoogle Scholar
- Vietnam technical regulation on hazardous waste thresholds (2009) QCVN 07:2009/BTNMT. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment VietnamGoogle Scholar