Solid Phase Extraction of Cadmium and Lead from Water by Amberlyst 15 and Determination by Flame Atomic Absorption Spectrometry
Preconcentration of Cd(II) and Pb(II) was carried out by using column solid phase extraction method. Amberlyst 15 was used as solid phase for these analytes. The optimum extraction conditions such as pH (4), type and volume of eluent (5 mL of 2 mol L−1 HNO3) sample flow rate (1 mL min−1) and sample volume (100 mL for Cd(II) and 750 mL for Pb(II)) were determined. The recoveries were found for Cd(II) and Pb(II) as 104% ± 1% and 102 % ± 2%, respectively. The limit of detections were found as 0.23 µg L−1 for Cd(II) and 0.13 µg L−1 for Pb(II). The effects of foreign ions were also studied. The method was validated by analyzing standard reference material and spiked water samples. Percent relative error and relative standard deviation were below 3% and 4%, respectively.
KeywordsCadmium Lead Preconcentration Amberlyst 15 Solid phase extraction Atomic absorption spectrometry
- Cajamarca FAS, Corazza MZ, Prete MC, Dragunski DC, Rocker C, Caetano J, Goncalves AC, Tarley CRT (2016) Investigation on the performance of chemically modified aquatic macrophytes-salvinia molesta for the micro-solid phase preconcentration of Cd(II) on-line coupled to FAAS. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 97(6):863–869CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EPA Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2016) Ground water and drinking water - table of regulated drinking water contaminantsGoogle Scholar
- Naushad M, AlOthman ZA, Khan MR, ALQahtani NJ, ALSohaimi IH (2014) Equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic studies for the removal of organophosphorus pesticide using Amberlyst-15 resin: quantitative analysis by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Ind Eng Chem 20(6):4393–4400CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rehman IU, Ishaq M, Ali L, Khan S, Ahmad I, Din IU, Ullah H (2018) Enrichment, spatial distribution of potential ecological and human health risk assessment via toxic metals in soil and surface water ingestion in the vicinity of Sewakht mines, district Chitral, Northern Pakistan. Ecotox Environ Safe 154:127–136CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- WHO World Health Organization (WHO) (2011) Guidelines for drinking water quality, surveillance and control of community supplies, 4th ed., vol 3. Geneva, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar