Determination of Formaldehyde in Water Samples by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Methyl Acetoacetate Derivatization
A high-performance liquid chromatography method with methyl acetoacetate derivatization via the Hantzsch reaction was developed for the analysis of formaldehyde (HCHO) in several water samples. Under optimized conditions, HCHO was detected within 4 min and was not affected by excessive derivatization reagents. The calibration curve constructed from the peak height of HCHO was linear, with a correlation coefficient of 0.9998. The relative standard deviation of the peak height from ten replicates was 0.29%. The detection and quantitative limits were 0.96 µg/L and 3.16 µg/L, respectively. A recovery test of HCHO was performed to compare the developed method with the official analysis method (DNPH method). The developed method was used to determine the HCHO levels in several water samples (tap water, river water, and waste water).
KeywordsFormaldehyde High-performance liquid chromatography Hantzsch reaction Derivatization Methyl acetoacetate Water samples
We would like to thank Editage (https://www.editage.jp) for English language editing.
No funding received for this study.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interests
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Ishikawa K, Nagashima T, Yoshikawa K, Sakuragawa A (2014) Determination of formaldehyde in river water samples by high-performance liquid chromatography. In: Proceedings of the 31th meeting of ion chromatography discussion group of the Japan society for analytical chemistry. pp 58–59 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Kerns WD, Pavkov KL, Donofrio DJ, Gralla EJ, Swenberg JA (1983) Carcinogenicity of formaldehyde in rats and mice after long-term inhalation exposure. Cancer Res 43:4382–4392Google Scholar
- Li Q, Sritharathikhum P, Oshima M, Motomizu S (2008) Development of novel detection reagent for simple and sensitive determination of trace amounts of formaldehyde and its application to flow injection spectrophotometric analysis. Anal Chim Acta 612:165–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2008.02.028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2015) Drinking water quality standards in Japan. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/topics/bukyoku/kenkou/suido/kijun/kijunchi.html. Accessed 1 Apr 2015
- Ministry of the Evironmental (2003) Environmental quality standards for water pollution in Japan. http://www.env.go.jp/water/impure/item2.html. Accessed 27 Mar 2013
- Wang H, Ding J, Du X, Sun X, Chen L, Zeng Q, Xu Y, Zhang X, Zhao Q, Ding L (2012) Determination of formaldehyde in fruit juice based on magnetic strong cation-exchange resin modified with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine. Food Chem 131:380–385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.08.056 CrossRefGoogle Scholar