Assessment of DDT and Metabolites in Soil and Sediment of Potentially Contaminated Areas of Belém, Amazon Region, Brazil
- 274 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate the distribution of DDT and metabolites in surface soils and soil profiles from two areas containing deposits of obsolete pesticides in Belém, Amazon Region, Brazil. DDT and metabolites were extracted by microwave assisted extraction and analyzed by gas chromatography with electron capture detection. Concentrations of total DDT in surface soil samples ranged from 64.22 mg kg−1 in area 1 (A1) to 447.84 mg kg−1 in area 2 (A2). Lower levels were found in soil profiles than at the surface (6.21–21.17 mg kg−1 in A1 and 36.13–113.66 mg kg−1 in A2). pp’-DDT, pp′-DDE and pp′-DDD were detected in sediments at levels of 2.01, 0.96 and 0.35 mg kg−1, respectively. The ratio (DDE + DDD)/ΣDDT was low indicating the recent introduction of DDT to the environment in the two study areas, through the volatilization and atmospheric deposition of the obsolete pesticides.
KeywordsContamination DDT Rivers Sediment Soil
This study was supported by Secretary of the State of Pará Health (SESPA) and the National Health Foundation (FUNASA).
- Alamdar A, Syed JH, Malik RN, Katsoyiannis A, Liu J, Li J, Zhang G, Jones KC (2014) Organochlorine pesticides in surface soils from obsolete pesticide dumping ground in Hyderabad City, Pakistan: contamination levels and their potential for air–soil exchange. Sci Total Environ 470–471:733–741CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ATSDR (2005) Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry 2005. Toxicological profile for DDT, DDE, DDD. AtlantaGoogle Scholar
- CONAMA (2009) Resolução Nº 420/2009 Dispõe sobre critérios e valores orientadores de qualidade do solo quanto à presença de substâncias químicas e estabelece diretrizes para o gerenciamento ambiental de áreas contaminadas por essas substâncias em decorrência de atividades antrópicasGoogle Scholar
- CONAMA (2012) Resolução Nº 454/2012 Estabelece as diretrizes gerais e os procedimentos referenciais para o gerenciamento do material a ser dragado em águas sob jurisdição nacionalGoogle Scholar
- Felsot AS, Racke KD, Hamilton DJ (2003) Disposal and degradation of pesticide waste. Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 177:123–200Google Scholar
- FUNASA (2013) Relatório do levantamento de informações sobre locais de armazenamento de insumos utilizados nas atividades de controle de endemias pela Fundação Nacional de Saúde (FUANASA). Projeto RemediarGoogle Scholar
- Souza AS, Torres JPM, Meire RO, Neves RC, Couri MS, Serejo CS (2008) Organochlorine pesticides (OCs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in sediments and crabs (Chasmagnathus granulata, Dana, 1851) from mangroves of Guanabara Bay, Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil. Chemosphere 73:S186–S192CrossRefGoogle Scholar