Arsenic Environmental Threshold Surpass in Estuarine Sediments: Effects of Bioturbation
- 179 Downloads
We investigate the distributions of the metalloid arsenic (As) and metals iron (Fe) and manganese (Mn) in the sediments of two pristine areas of a biological reserve in the Patos Lagoon Estuary. This area is occupied by Spartina alterniflora and by Neohelice granulata crab colonies and low concentrations of As are expected. The bioturbation/bioirrigation of sediments by crabs and the roots of plants lead to the penetration of oxygen below the oxic/suboxix division and the subsequent precipitation of Fe-Mn hydroxides. Ferruginous incrustations and nodules along roots and crab channels propagate to depths of over 35 cm and sediment contains up to 33 mg kg− 1 of As. The metalloid distribution in sediments is strongly correlated with that of Fe but not with Mn. This study revealed that areas with biologically disturbed sediments could demonstrate contamination in As, which is not anthropogenic in origin.
KeywordsArsenic Sediments Bioturbation Contamination
The research was funded by the Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq, Grant 470541/2010-5).
- Angeletti S, Cervellini PM (2015) Population structure of the burrowing crab Neohelice granulata (Brachyura, Varunidae) in a southwestern Atlantic salt marsh. Lat Am J Aquat Res 43(3):539–547Google Scholar
- CONAMA Ministério do Meio Ambiente, Conselho Nacional do Meio Ambiente. Resolução nº 454, de 01 de novembro de 2012 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- EPA Method – 3051 (2012) http://www.caslab.com/EPA-Method-3051/ Accessed 21 March 2012
- Leivuori M, Niemistö L (1993) Trace metals in the sediments of the Gulf of Bothnia. Aqua Fenn 23:89–100Google Scholar
- Sadiq M (1992) Toxic metal chemistry in marine environments. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Santos CG, Garcia F, Baisch P, Mirlean N (2009) Relação entre fração fina e total no monitoramento de sedimentos contaminados por metais pesados na região portuária estuarina de Rio Grande. In Farg (Ed), Portos e dragagem, Farg, Fortaleza p 23–25 (in Portuguese)Google Scholar