Mobility Studies of 14C-Chlorpyrifos in Malaysian Oil Palm Soils
- 148 Downloads
The mobility of 14C-chlorpyrifos using soil TLC was investigated in this study. It was found that chlorpyrifos was not mobile in clay, clay loam and peat soil. The mobility of 14C-chlorpyrifos and non-labelled chlorpyrifos was also tested with silica gel TLC using three types of developing solvent hexane (100 %), hexane:ethyl acetate (95:5, v/v); and hexane:ethyl acetate (98:2, v/v). The study showed that both the 14C-labelled and non-labelled chlorpyrifos have the same Retardation Factor (Rf) for different developing solvent systems. From the soil column study on mobility of chlorpyrifos, it was observed that no chlorpyrifos residue was found below 5 cm depth in three types of soil at simulation rainfall of 20, 50 and 100 mm. Therefore, the soil column and TLC studies have shown similar findings in the mobility of chlorpyrifos.
KeywordsChlorpyrifos 14C Mobility Soil TLC
The authors would like to thank the Director-General of MPOB for permission to publish this paper. Acknowledgement is also cordially extended to the Director-General of the Malaysian Nuclear Agency (NUCLEAR MALAYSIA).
- Grube A, Donaldson D, Kiely T, Wu L (2011) Pesticides industry sales and usage. US EPA, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Halimah M, Nashriyah M, Tan YA, Ismail BS (2004) The adsorption coefficient (Koc) of chlorpyrifos in clay soil. J Nucl Relat Technol 2(2):23–30Google Scholar
- Halimah M, Tan YA, Ismail S, Nashriyah M (2010) Downward movement of chlorpyrifos in the soil of an oil palm plantation in Sepang, Selangor, Malaysia. J Oil Palm Res 22:721–728Google Scholar
- Halimah M, Zulkifli M, Tan YA, Hasnol O, Ismail BS (2011) Leaching of chlorpyrifos in peat soil of an oil palm plantation in Malaysia. Am Eurasian J Sustain Agric 5(2):209–215Google Scholar
- Iosson DI (1984) Leaching of chlorpyrifos in standard German soil 2:2 following 30 days of ageing using the BBA protocol Merkblatt 36/37. Indianapolis: DowElanco (unpublished report)Google Scholar
- Ismail BS, Maznah Z (2006) Adsorption-desorption and mobility of fenvalerate in three tropical agricultural soils. Am Eurasian J Agric Environ Sci 1(2):160–168Google Scholar
- Kid J, James DR (1991) The agrochemicals handbook, 3rd edn. Unwin Brothers Limited, Old Working, SurneyGoogle Scholar
- McCall PJ (1985) Column leaching and sorption studies with chlorpyrifos. Indianapolis, IN (unpublished report)Google Scholar
- Tay JH, Marinah MA, Norhayati MT (2010) Adsorption of formulated chlorpyrifos on selected agricultural soils of Terengganu. Malays J Anal Sci 14(2):76–81Google Scholar
- Wesseling C, Corriols M, Bravo V (2005) Acute pesticide poisoning and pesticide registration in Central America. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 207(2):697–705Google Scholar