Ecotoxicity Bioassays on Leachates from Poultry Manure
- 247 Downloads
The main aim of this study was to evaluate the toxicity of different poultry manure landfill leachates, using a well-known toxicity test system (MS3). The bioassay was made using a battery of toxicity tests including acute toxicity with crustacean (Daphnia magna), algae (Chlorella vulgaris) and the in vitro toxicity test with the fish cell line RTG-2. On D. magna was high mortality for zero time and almost 100 % and 70 %–80 % mortality for sawdust and straw poultry manure respectively. No effects on C. vulgaris, was observed after the leachate exposure. None of the parameters considered: protein, EROD activity, β-gal activity and neutral red, showed differences between control test and the leachate collected from exposure to poultry manure.
KeywordsPoultry manure Daphnia magna Chlorella vulgaris In vitro RTG-21
We are grateful to INIA-FEDER for funding this study as part of the RTA2005-00120-CO2-01 and RTA2009-00074-00-00 projects. The authors wish to extend their sincere thanks to Ecotoxicology Laboratory for technical assistance.
- Delgado M, Martín JV, Miralles de Imperial R, León C, Garcia MC (2010) Phytotoxicity of uncomposted and composted poultry manure. Afr J Plant Sci 4(5):154–162Google Scholar
- Dikinya O, Mufwanzala N (2010) Chicken manure-enhanced soil fertility and productivity: effects of application rates. Soil Sci Environ Manag 1(3):46–54Google Scholar
- Institute SAS (2001) SAS user’s guide: statistic. SAS inst, Cary, NCGoogle Scholar
- ISO 6341 (1996) Water quality. Determination of the inhibition of the mobility of Daphnia magna straus (Cladocer, Crustacea). Acute toxicity test. 3rd ednGoogle Scholar
- OECD (organization for economic cooperation and development) (2004) OCDE guidelines for testing of chemicals. Daphnia sp acute toxicity test. OECD Guideline No 202, Paris, France 2004Google Scholar
- Ramos C, de la Torre AI, Tarazona JV, Muñoz MJ (1996) Desarrollo de un ensayo de inhibición del crecimiento de Chlorella vulgaris utilizando un test en microplacas. Rev Toxicol 13:97–100Google Scholar
- Slomczynska B, Slomczynski T (2004) Physico-chemical and toxicological characteristics of leachates from MSW landfills. Pol J Environ Stud 6:627–637Google Scholar