Exposure Assessment to Trichloroethylene and Perchloroethylene for Workers in the Dry Cleaning Industry
- 594 Downloads
Perchloroethylene and trichloroethylene are two particular organochloro compounds, are often used for dry-cleaning. In the present study the excretion of urinary Perchloroethylene and trichloroethylene were evaluated as biomarkers of exposure to these compounds. The mean value of Perchloroethylene in breathing zone and the total Perchloroethylene uptake during the work shift of the three groups of dry-cleaning workers according to the capacity of the dry-cleaning machine (8, 12 and 18 kg) were 31.04, 50.87 and 120.99 mg m−3 and 11.46, 22.6 and 41.6 μg L−1, respectively, which were significantly greater than the occupationally nonexposed groups. A good correlation (r = 0.907) between the mean values of Perchloroethylene in breathing zone and the urinary concentrations was observed.
KeywordsTrichloroethylene Perchloroethylene Exposure Urinary levels
This research has been supported by Tehran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services grant (project No. 88-01-46-8305). Hereby, the cooperation of the University and also the Center for Environmental Research (CER) is highly appreciated.
- American Conference of Governmental and Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) (1999) TLVs and BEIs: threshold limit values for chemical substances and physical agents, biological exposure indices. ACGIH, CincinnatiGoogle Scholar
- Bayaa MP, Figa-Talamancab I, Siskosa PA (1998) Determination of selected volatile organic compounds in the air of dry-cleaning shops in the Athens area: pilot study. Indoor Built Environ 7:315–318Google Scholar
- NIOSH Hazard Controls (1997) Control of spotting chemical hazards in commercial dry-cleaning. HC20, US Department of Health and Human Services, Publication No 97-158Google Scholar
- Radiello Technical Documents (d1 d6): volatile organic compounds (VOCs), chemically desorbed with CS2. /etc/medialib/docs/Supelco/Application_Notes/radiello_d1_d6.Par.0001.File.tmp/radiello_d1_d6.pdf
- Rastkari N, Ahmadkhaniha R, Yunesian M (2011) Simultaneous determination of trichloroethylene, perchloroethylene and trichloroacetic acid in human urine using solid-phase microextraction fiber coated with single-walled carbon nanotubes. Int J Environ Anal Chem (in press)Google Scholar