Acute Toxicity of the Dissociating Veterinary Antibiotics Trimethoprim to Willow Trees at Varying pH
- 212 Downloads
The willow tree acute toxicity test was applied to determine the acute toxicity of the neutral and the ionic form of the antibiotic trimethoprim (TMP) to trees. The pKa of the weak base TMP is at 7.2, and the toxicity testing was done at low (pH 4.3), medium (pH 6.4) and high pH (pH 8.15). The test gave toxic effects, i.e. reduced transpiration at an external concentration of 100 mg/L TMP at medium and high pH, where the neutral form of TMP dominates. At an external concentration of 1,000 mg/L, also at low pH an effect occurred, but it was less pronounced than at medium pH.
KeywordsBase Ion Pharmaceuticals Plants
This work received financial support from the European Union 6th Framework Program of Research, Thematic Priority 6 (Global change and ecosystems), contract number GOCE 037017, project OSIRIS, and the FP 7 project PHARMAS. This study was also supported by the CETOCOEN (project CZ.1.05/2.1.00/01.0001) of the EU Structural Funds, Operational programme “Research and development of Innovations”.
- ACD Advanced Chemistry Development (2008) ACD/LogD Suite version 10.02. Toronto, ON, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- Boxall BAB, Fogg LA, Baird DJ, Lewis C, Telfer TC, Koplin D, Gravell A, Pemberton E, Boucard T (2005) Target monitoring study for veterinary medicines in the environment, science report: SC030183/SR. Environment agency, Bristol, United KingdomGoogle Scholar
- CISTA Central Institute for Supervising and Testing in Agriculture in Czech Republic (2009) Výsledky agrochemického zkoušení zemědělských půd za období 2003–2008 www.ukzuz.cz/Uploads/1061-7-vysledky_AZZP1998_04.pdf.aspx. Accessed 27 Sep 2010
- Emborg HD, Hammerum AM (2007) Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, foods and humans in Denmark. www.danmap.org. Accessed 27 Sep 2010
- EMEA (2007) Trimethoprim. Summary report (2) (EMEA/MRL/255/97-FINAL) http://www.emea.europa.eu/pdfs/vet/mrls/025597en.pdf. Accessed 27 Sep 2010
- Holmes P, Boxall A, Johnson K, Assem L, Levy LS (2007) Evaluation of the potential risks to consumers from indirect exposure to veterinary medicines, Final report. Institute of Environmental and Health and the Central Science Laboratory for the Department for Environmental Food and Rural AffairsGoogle Scholar
- ISO (1997) Water quality – Fresh water algal growth test with Scenedesmus subspicatus and Raphidocelis subcapitata. In: ISO International Organization for Standardization, Geneve, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Manallack DT (2007) The pKa distribution of drugs: application to drug discovery. Perspect Med Chem 1:25–38Google Scholar