Short-term effects of the 2008 Great Recession on the health of the Italian population: an ecological study
- First Online:
- 464 Downloads
To report on the effects on health that the 2008 Great Recession is producing in Italy, by comparing the consistency of Italian data with general observations reported in the scientific literature, and by pointing out consequences on the rates of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular mortality, male suicidal behaviours, daytime alcohol drinking and traffic fatalities.
This is an ecological study in which MEDLINE, PsycINFO and PubMed were searched for the literature with combinations of the following keywords: economic recession, financial crisis, unemployment, health, suicide and mental health. Data from two Italian government agencies (Italian Institute of Statistics, ISTAT, and Italian Agency of Drugs, AIFA) in the years from 2000 to 2010 were obtained and analysed, by producing models of multiple linear regressions.
After the recession onset, all-cause mortality remained stable, and was not associated with the economic fluctuations. Differently, cardiovascular mortality was associated with the rate of unemployment, and showed a significant increase in 2010. Alcohol consumption increased in 2009, the year with the worst real GDP decrease (−5.1 %). Though the total rate of suicide was not associated with the economic situation, male completed and attempted suicides due to financial crisis were significantly associated with the rate of unemployment and the real GDP. The increasing diffusion of antidepressants was not associated with a lowering of the rate of suicide.
The data on the Italian situation here discussed are sufficiently reliable to conclude that a link exists between the ongoing economic recession and health and mental health of Italians. Further research is needed to understand more in detail and with stronger reliability such link, to support primary and secondary preventive interventions and orient the development of effective sociopolitical interventions.
KeywordsRecession Economic crisis Italy Mental health Suicide
- 4.Wessel D (2010) Did ‘Great Recession’ live up to the name? Wall Str J. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303591204575169693166352882
- 5.Shiskin J (1974) The changing business cycle. New York Times, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.World Health Organization (2011) Impact of economic crises on mental health. http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/mental-health/publications/2011/impact-of-economic-crises-on-mental-health
- 12.Mattei G, Ferrari S, Rigatelli M (2011) Economic recession in Italy: a review of short-term effects on health. J Psychosom Res 70:606Google Scholar
- 13.Mattei G, Ferrari S, Rigatelli M (2012) How does economic recession in Italy affect the health of Italian people? Eur Psychiatr 27 (2) Suppl. 1. Video presentation available on http://www.psychiatry.conference-companion.com/videos/2012/9
- 14.Gruppo di lavoro OsMed (2011) The use of drugs in Italy. 2010 national account. (L’uso dei farmaci in Italia. Rapporto nazionale anno 2010). Il Pensiero Scientifico Editore, Rome (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 15.WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology (WHOCC): DDD Definition and general considerations. http://www.whocc.no/ddd/definition_and_general_considera/
- 16.Giovannini E (2009) Document on the economic-financial planning concerning the 2010–2012 measure for public finance (Documento di Programmazione Economico-Finanziaria relativo alla manovra di finanza pubblica per gli anni 2010–2012). Audition of the President of the National Institute of Statistics. Istituto Nazionale di Statistica, Rome (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 17.ISTAT (2000–2010) Suicides and attempted suicides in Italy (Tables 2000–2010). (Suicidi e Tentativi di Suicidio in Italia, Tavole 2000–2010). Istituto Nazionale di Statistica, Rome (in italian)Google Scholar
- 20.Tremonti G (2008) Address of the minister of economics and finance about the development of the ongoing financial crisis. (Informativa del Ministro dell’Economia e delle Finanze Giulio Tremonti sugli sviluppi della crisi finanziaria in atto). http://www.mef.gov.it/podcast/2008/video_0041.html (in Italian) finanziaria in atto). http://www.mef.gov.it/podcast/2008/video_0041.html (in Italian)
- 24.ISTAT (2006) Mortality tables of the resident population. Year 2003. (Tavole di mortalità della popolazione residente. Anno 2003). Istituto Nazionale di Statistica, Rome (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 25.World Health Organization (2013) Health for all database. http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/data-and-evidence/databases/european-health-for-all-database-hfa-db2
- 28.ISTAT (2011) Alcoholic use and abuse in Italy (Tables 2000–2010). (Uso e abuso di alcol in Italia, Tavole 2000–2010). Istituto Nazionale di Statistica, Rome (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 36.Cuijpers P, Sijbrandij M, Koole SL, Andersson G, Beekman AT, Reynolds CF 3rd (2013) The efficacy of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy in treating depressive and anxiety disorders: a meta-analysis of direct comparisons. World Psychiatry 12(2):137–148. doi:10.1002/wps.20038 PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Bortolussi G (2012) L’economia dei suicidi. Piccoli imprenditori in crisi. Marcianum Press, Venezia (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 38.Blanchard O, Amighini A, Gavazzi F (2010) Macroeconomics. A European perspective. Financial Times, Upper Saddle River, New JerseyGoogle Scholar