Mortality and causes of death of acute and transient psychotic disorders
- First Online:
- 201 Downloads
Little is known about mortality associated with acute transient psychoses. This paper examines mortality and causes of death of ICD-10 F23 ‘Acute and transient psychotic disorders’ (ATPD).
Data from all subjects aged over 15 years who were enrolled in 1996 in the Danish psychiatric register with a first-admission diagnosis of ATPD were linked to the national register of causes of death. The standardized mortality ratio (SMR) for overall mortality and specific categories were calculated.
Over the period 1996–2001, 87 (17.3%) of 503 patients with ATPD had died, accounting for a mortality rate of 35.3 per 1,000 person/years. The SMR for all causes (2.9), natural causes (2.5), and unnatural causes (9.2) were significantly increased. Suicide had the greatest SMR (30.9).
These findings argue for excess mortality of ATPD particularly from suicide.
KeywordsEpidemiology ICD-10 Suicide
- 1.World Health Organization (1992) The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 3.Leonhard K (1957) Aufteilung der endogenen Psychosen (The classification of endogenous psychoses, Irvington, New York, 1979). Akademie Verlag, JenaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Strömgren E (1974) Psychogenic psychoses. In: Hirsh RS, Shepherd M (eds) Themes and variations in European psychiatry. Wright, Bristol, pp 97–117Google Scholar
- 5.Langfeldt G (1939) The schizophreniform states. Munksgaard, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- 6.Mojtbai R (2005) Acute and transient psychotic disorders and brief psychotic disorder. In: Kaplan VA, Sadock BJ (eds) Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry (8th edn). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 1512–1522Google Scholar
- 19.Breslow NE, Day NE (1987) Statistical methods in cancer research. IARC Scientific Publications, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 20.Juul S (1984) Programmer til overlevelses beregninger. Aarhus Univerisitetsforlage, AarhusGoogle Scholar
- 26.Qui P, Nordentoft M (2004) Suicide risk in relation to psychiatric hospitalization. Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:427–432Google Scholar