Gem-quality transparent diaspore (zultanite) in bauxite deposits of the İlbir Mountains, Menderes Massif, SW Turkey
- 291 Downloads
Several m-thick, karst-unconformity-type metabauxite horizons in the İlbir Mountains of SW Turkey host open-space mineralization of gem-quality diaspore (trademarked as zultanite), associated with muscovite, hematite, ilmenite, chloritoid, and younger calcite. The hydrothermal-metamorphogenic mineralization occurs in fracture zones (veins and open structures) that crosscut the metabauxite horizons, but does not extend into the marble host rocks. The white to dark gray marble sequence (over 2,000 m in thickness) is of Cretaceous depositional age and was affected by Alpine (Paleogene) tectonometamorphism which caused the hydrothermal remobilization of primary bauxite components into crosscutting structures.
KeywordsDiaspore Zultanite (gem diaspore) Bauxite Milas-Muğla Turkey
The authors wish to give great thanks to Dr. Bernd Lehmann for spending many times in revising the manuscript. In addition, his helping to improve the readability of the manuscript is highly appreciated.
- Calagari AA, Abedini A (2007) Geochemical investigations on Permo-Triassic bauxite horizon at Kanisheeteh, east of Bukan, West-Azarbaidjan, Iran. J Chem Explor 94:1–18Google Scholar
- Candan O, Dora OO, Korolay E, Oberhänsli R, Rimmele G, Çetinkaplan M, Chen F (2007) Polymetamorphic evolution of the Pan-African basement and Paleozoic—Early Tertiary cover series. Proceedings of Menderes Massif Colloquium 74–81Google Scholar
- Garcia-Garmilla F, Özer S, Sarı B (2004) Cathodoluminescence and metamorphism in rudist shells from the Upper Cretaceous marbles of Menderes Massif (western Turkey). Geogaceta 36:167–170Google Scholar
- Gem News of GIA (1995) Diaspore from Turkey. Gems Gemol 31:59–71Google Scholar
- Misantoni D (2007) Preliminary geologic evaluation of gem and mineral specimen mining potential at the bauxite properties of Milenyum Madencilik, Mugla Province, Turkey. Draft Report (unpublished)Google Scholar
- Özer S, Sarı B, Özkar-Öngen I, Toker V (2007) Rudist, foraminifera and nanoplankton biostratigraphy of the Upper Cretaceous-Lower Tertiary sequence of the Menderes Massif: an approach to the age of the metamorphism and relation of the rock units. Proceedings of Menderes Massif Colloquium 44–50Google Scholar
- Wippern J (1962) Toros boksitleri ve bunların tektonik durumu. Bull of MTA (Turkey) 58:47–70 (in Turkish)Google Scholar