Polymorphism, distribution, and segregation of AFLP markers in a doubled haploid rice population
We exploited the newly developed amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) technique to study the polymorphism, distribution and inheritance of AFLP markers with a doubled haploid rice population derived from ‘IR64’/‘Azucena’. Using only 20 pairs of primer combinations, we detected 945 AFLP bands of which 208 were polymorphic. All 208 AFLP markers were mapped and distributed over all 12 chromosomes. When these were compared with RFLP markers already mapped in the population, we found the AFLP markers to be highly polymorphic in rice and to follow Mendelian segregation. As linkage map of rice can be generated rapidly with AFLP markers they will be very useful for marker-assisted backcrossing.
Key wordsGenetic map Marker-aided selection Oryza sativa RFLP markers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hodges TK, Peng J, Lyznik LA, Koetje DS (1991) Transformation and regeneration of rice protoplasts. In: Khush G, Toenniessen G (eds) Rice biotechnology. IRRI, Manila, Philippines, pp 157–174Google Scholar
- Huang N, McCouch SR, Mew T, Parco A, Guiderdoni E (1994) Development of a RFLP map from a doubled haploid population of rice. Rice Genet Newsl 11:134–137Google Scholar
- Kosambi DD (1944) The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann Eugen 12:172–175Google Scholar
- Kurata N, Nagamura Y, Yamamoto K, Harushima Y, Sue N, Wu J, Antonio BA, Shomura A, Shimizu T, Lin S-Y, Inoue T, Fukuda A, Shimano T, Kuboki Y, Toyama T, Miyamoto Y, Kirihara T, Hayasaka K, Miyao A, Monna L, Zhong HS, Tamura Y, Wang Z-X, Momma T, Umehara Y, Yano M, Sasaki T, Minobe Y (1994) A-300-kilobase interval genetic map of rice including 883 expressed sequences. Nat Genet 8:365–372PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Litt M, Luty J (1989) A hypervariable microsatellite revealed by in vitro amplification of a dinucleotide repeat within the cardiac muscle action gene. Am J Hum Genet 44:391–401Google Scholar
- Lorieux M, Petrov M, Huang N, Faure J, Guiderdoni E, Chesquiere A (1996) Aroma in rice is controlled by a major gene and at least two minor QTLs. Theor Appl Genet (in press)Google Scholar
- Zabeau M, Vos P 1993 Selective restriction fragment amplification : a general method for DNA fingerprinting. European Patent Application number : 92402629.7, Publication number 0534858 AlGoogle Scholar