Identification of a new source of stripe rust resistance Yr82 in wheat
- 797 Downloads
Stripe rust resistance gene, Yr82, was mapped in chromosome 3BL using SNP markers. Yr82 interacted with Yr29 to produce lower stripe rust responses at the adult plant stage.
Landrace Aus27969 produced low infection types against Australian Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici (Pst) pathotypes. A recombinant inbred line (RIL) F7 population from the Aus27969/Avocet S cross was developed. Monogenic segregation for seedling stripe rust response was observed among the RIL population, and the resistance locus was named Yr82. Bulk segregant analysis performed using the iSelect wheat 90 K Infinium SNP array located Yr82 in the long arm of chromosome 3B. The RIL population was screened against stripe rust under field conditions and was genotyped with targeted genotyping-by-sequencing assay. QTL analysis detected the involvement of chromosomes 1B and 3B in controlling stripe rust resistance carried by Aus27969. Incorporation of Yr82 and marker SNPLr46G22 into the linkage map showed that the QTL in 1B and 3B represented Yr29 and Yr82, respectively. Kompetitive allele-specific PCR (KASP) markers sun KASP_300 and KASP_8775 flanked Yr82 distally and proximally, respectively, each at 2 cM distance. These Yr82-linked markers were polymorphic among 84% of Australian cultivars and can be used for marker-assisted selection of Yr82.
KeywordsAdult plant resistance All-stage resistance KASP Puccinia striiformis
The first author thanks the Australian Government for an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship and Australian Postgraduate Award (IPRS and APA) to pursue Ph.D. studies at the University of Sydney and acknowledges the University of Jaffna for granting study leave. Financial support from the GRDC Australia is gratefully acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors read the manuscript, and there is no conflict of interest.
- Appels R, Eversole K, Feuillet C, Keller B, Rogers J, Stein N, Pozniak CJ, Choulet F, Distelfeld A, Poland J, Ronen G, Sharpe AG, Barad O, Baruch K, Keeble-Gagnère G, Mascher M, Ben-Zvi G, Josselin A-A, Himmelbach A, Balfourier F, Gutierrez-Gonzalez J, Hayden MJ, Koh C, Muehlbauer G, Pasam RK, Paux E, Rigault P, Tibbits J, Tiwari V, Spannagl M, Lang D, Gundlach H, Haberer G, Mayer KFX, Ormanbekova D, Prade V, Šimková H, Wicker T, Swarbreck D, Rimbert H, Felder M, Guilhot N, Kaithakottil G, Keilwagen J, Leroy P, Lux T, Twardziok S, Venturini L, Juhász A, Abrouk M, Fischer I, Uauy C, Borril Pl, Ramirez-Gonzalez RH, Arnaud D, Chalabi S, Chalhoub B, Cory S, Datla R, Davey MW, Jacobs J, Robinson SJ, Steuernagel B, van Ex F, Wulff BBH, Benhamed M, Bendahmane A, Concia L, Latrasse D, Alaux M, Bartoš J, Bellec A, Berges H, Doležel J, Frenkel Z, Gill B, Korol A, Letellier T, Olsen O-A, Singh K, Valárik M, van Vossen E, Vautrin S, Weining S, Fahima T, Glikson V, Raats D, Číhalíková J, Toegelová H, Vrána J, Sourdille P, Darrier B, Barabaschi D, Cattivelli L, Hernandez P, Galvez S, Budak H, Jones JDG, Witek K, Yu G, Small I, Melonek J, Zhou R, Belova T, Kanyuka K, King R, Nilsen K, Walkowiak S, Cuthbert R, Knox R, Wiebe K, Xiang D, Rohde A, Golds T, Čížková J, Ani Akpinar B, Biyiklioglu S, Gao L, N'Daiye A, Kubaláková M, Šafář J, Alfama F, Adam-Blondon A-F, Flores R, Guerche C, Loaec M, Quesneville H, Condie J, Ens J, Maclachlan R, Tan Y, Alberti A, Aury J-M, Barbe V, Couloux A, Cruaud C, Labadie K, Mangenot S, Wincker P, Kaur G, Luo M, Sehgal S, Chhuneja P, Gupta OP, Jindal S, Kaur P, Malik P, Sharma P (2018) Shifting the limits in wheat research and breeding using a fully annotated reference genome. Science 361:661Google Scholar
- Bariana HS, Miah H, Brown GN, Willey N, Lehmensiek A (2007b) Molecular mapping of durable rust resistance in wheat and its implication in breeding. In: Buck HT, Nisi JE, Salomón N (eds) Wheat production in stressed environments: Proceedings of the 7th International Wheat Conference, 27 November - 2 December 2005, Mar del Plata, Argentina. Springer Netherlands, Dordrecht, pp 723–728Google Scholar
- Chhetri M (2015) Molecular mapping and genetic characterization of rust resistance in wheat. University of Sydney, Australia, Plant breeding instituteGoogle Scholar
- McIntosh R, Dubcovsy J, Rogers W, Morris C, Appels R, Xia X (2015–2016) Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat: 2015–2016 https://shigen.nig.ac.jp/wheat/komugi/genes/macgene/supplement2015.pdf
- McIntosh RA, Devos KM, Dubcovsky J, Rogers WJ, Morris CF, Appels R, Anderson OD (2005) Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat 2005(supplement):1–56Google Scholar
- McIntosh RA, Dubcovsky J, Rogers WJ, Morris CF, Xia XC (2009) Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat 2009(supplement):1–28Google Scholar
- McIntosh R, Dubcovsky J, Rogers W, Morris C, Appels R, Xia X (2014) Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat: 2013–2014 https://maswheat.ucdavis.edu/CGSW/2013-2014_Supplement.pdf
- McIntosh RA, Dubcovsky J, Rogers WJ, Morris CF, Appels R, Xia XC (2017) Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat 2017(supplement):1–20Google Scholar
- Money D, Gardner K, Migicovsky Z, Schwaninger H, Zhong GH, Myles S (2015) Linkimpute: Fast and accurate genotype imputation for non-model organism organisms. G3 5:2383–2390Google Scholar
- Moore JW, Herrera-Foessel S, Lan C, Schnippenkoetter W, Ayliffe M, Huerta-Espino J, Lillemo M, Viccars L, Milne R, Periyannan S, Kong X, Spielmeyer W, Talbot M, Bariana H, Patrick JW, Dodds P, Singh R, Lagudah E (2015) A recently evolved hexose transporter variant confers resistance to multiple pathogens in wheat. Nat Genet 47:1494–1498CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pasam RK, Bansal U, Daetwyler HD, Forrest KL, Wong D, Petkowski J, Willey N, Randhawa M, Chhetri M, Miah H, Tibbits J, Bariana H, Hayden MJ (2017) Detection and validation of genomic regions associated with resistance to rust diseases in a worldwide hexaploid wheat landrace collection using BayesR and mixed linear model approaches. Theor Appl Genet 130:777–793CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Singh RP, Huerta-Espino J, William HM (2001) Slow rusting gene resitance to leaf and yellow rusts in wheat: genetics and breeding at CIMMYT. In: Eastwood R, Hollamby G, Rathjen T, Gororo N (eds) Assembly Proc Wheat Breed Soc Australia Inc. Wheat Breeding Society of Australia Inc, Mildura, pp 103–108Google Scholar
- Wang S, Basten CJ, Zeng ZB (2012). Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. https://statgen.ncsu.edu/qtlcart/WQTLCart.htm
- Wright S (1968) Evolution and genetics of populations. Genetics and biometric foundations, vol 1. University of Chicago Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar