Quantitative trait locus mapping under irrigated and drought treatments based on a novel genetic linkage map in mungbean (Vigna radiata L.)
- 437 Downloads
A novel genetic linkage map was constructed using SSR markers and stable QTLs were identified for six drought tolerance related-traits using single-environment analysis under irrigation and drought treatments.
Mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) is one of the most important leguminous food crops. However, mungbean production is seriously constrained by drought. Isolation of drought-responsive genetic elements and marker-assisted selection breeding will benefit from the detection of quantitative trait locus (QTLs) for traits related to drought tolerance. In this study, we developed a full-coverage genetic linkage map based on simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers using a recombinant inbred line (RIL) population derived from an intra-specific cross between two drought-resistant varieties. This novel map was anchored with 313 markers. The total map length was 1010.18 cM across 11 linkage groups, covering the entire genome of mungbean with a saturation of one marker every 3.23 cM. We subsequently detected 58 QTLs for plant height (PH), maximum leaf area (MLA), biomass (BM), relative water content, days to first flowering, and seed yield (Yield) and 5 for the drought tolerance index of 3 traits in irrigated and drought environments at 2 locations. Thirty-eight of these QTLs were consistently detected two or more times at similar linkage positions. Notably, qPH5A and qMLA2A were consistently identified in marker intervals from GMES5773 to MUS128 in LG05 and from Mchr11-34 to the HAAS_VR_1812 region in LG02 in four environments, contributing 6.40–20.06% and 6.97–7.94% of the observed phenotypic variation, respectively. None of these QTLs shared loci with previously identified drought-related loci from mungbean. The results of these analyses might facilitate the isolation of drought-related genes and help to clarify the mechanism of drought tolerance in mungbean.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31671758), the China Agriculture Research System (CARS-08), the National Key Technology Research and Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (2013BAD01B05-2) and the Agricultural Science and Technology Innovation Program (ASTIP) of CAAS.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Afanador LK, Haley SD, Kelly JD, Beebe S (1993) Adoption of a “mini-prep” DNA extraction method for RAPD marker analysis in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Annu Rep Bean Improv Coop 36:10–11Google Scholar
- Babu RC, Nguyen BD, Chamarerk V, Shanmugasundaram P, Chezhian P, Jeyaprakash P, Ganesh SK, Palchamy A, Sadasivam S, Sarkarung S (2003) Genetic analysis of drought resistance in rice by molecular markers: association between secondary traits and field performance. Crop Sci 43:1457–1469CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Blair MW, Galeano CH, Tovar E, Munoz Torres MC, Castrillon AV, Beebe SE, Rao IM (2012) Development of a Mesoamerican intra-genepool genetic map for quantitative trait loci detection in a drought tolerant x susceptible common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) cross. Mol Breed 29:71–88CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chankaew S, Somta P, Isemura T, Tomooka N, Kaga A, Vaughan DA, Srinives P (2013) Quantitative trait locus mapping reveals conservation of major and minor loci for powdery mildew resistance in four sources of resistance in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Mol Breed 32:121–130CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen HM, Ku HM, Schafleitner R, Bains TS, Kuo GC, Liu CA, Nair RM (2013) The major quantitative trait locus for mungbean yellow mosaic Indian virus resistance is tightly linked in repulsion phase to the major bruchid resistance locus in a cross between mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] and its wild relative Vigna radiata ssp. sublobata. Euphytica 192:205–216CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen J, Prakit S, Chen X, Cui X, Yuan X, Peerasak S (2016) Gene mapping of a mutant mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) using new molecular markers suggests a gene encoding a yuc4-like protein regulates the chasmogamous flower trait. Front. Plant Sci 7:830Google Scholar
- da Maia LC, Palmieri DA, de Souza VQ, Kopp MM, de Carvalho FIF, de Oliveira AC (2008) SSR locator: tool for simple sequence repeat discovery integrated with primer design and PCR simulation. Int J Plant Genom 2008:1–9Google Scholar
- Kajonphol T, Sangsiri C, Somta P, Toojinda T, Srinives P (2012) Ssr map construction and quantitative trait loci (qtl) identification of major agronomic traits in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) wilczek). Sabrao J Breed Genet 44:71–86Google Scholar
- Kang YJ, Kim SK, Kim MY, Lestari P, Kim KH, Ha BK, Jun TH, Hwang WJ, Lee T, Lee J, Shim S, Yoon MY, Jang YE, Han KS, Taeprayoon P, Yoon N, Somta P, Tanya P, Kim KS, Gwag JG, Moon JK, Lee YH, Park BS, Bombarely A, Doyle JJ, Jackson SA, Schafleitner R, Srinives P, Varshney RK, Lee SH (2014) Genome sequence of mungbean and insights into evolution within Vigna species. Nat Commun 5:5443CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kitsanachandee R, Somta P, Chatchawankanphanich O, Akhtar KP, Shah TM, Nair RM, Bains TS, Sirari A, Kaur L, Srinives P (2013) Detection of quantitative trait loci for mungbean yellow mosaic India virus (MYMIV) resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek) in India and Pakistan. Breed Sci 63:367–373CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Liu H (2012) Current situation and development prospect of mungbean production in China. Agric Outlook 8:36–39Google Scholar
- Miyagi M, Humphry M, Ma ZY, Lambrides CJ, Bateson M, Liu CJ (2004) Construction of bacterial artificial chromosome libraries and their application in developing PCR-based markers closely linked to a major locus conditioning bruchid resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek). Theor Appl Genet 110:151–156CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pooprompan P, Wasee S, Toojinda T, Abe J, Chanprame S, Srinives P (2006) Molecular marker analysis of days to flowering in vegetable soybean (glycine max (L.) merrill). Kasetsart J Nat Sci 40:2487–2489Google Scholar
- Rehman AU, Malhotra RS, Bett K, Tar’an B, Bueckert R, Warkentin TD (2010) Mapping QTL associated with traits affecting grain yield in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under terminal drought stress. Crop Sci 51:141–146Google Scholar
- Schafleitner R, Huang SM, Chu SH, Yen JY, Lin CY, Yan MR, Krishnan B, Liu MS, Lo HF, Chen CY, Chen LF, Wu DC, Bui TG, Ramasamy S, Tung CW, Nair R (2016) Identification of single nucleotide polymorphism markers associated with resistance to bruchids (Callosobruchus spp.) in wild mungbean (Vigna radiata var. sublobata) and cultivated V. radiata through genotyping by sequencing and quantitative trait locus analysis. BMC Plant Biol 16:159CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sholihin HDM (2002a) Molecular mapping of drought resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata): 1. Linkage map in mungbean using AFLP markers. J Bioteknologi Pertanian 7:17–24Google Scholar
- Sholihin HDM (2002b) Molecular mapping of drought resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata): 2. QTL linked to drought resistance. J Bioteknologi Pertanian 7:55–61Google Scholar
- Tangphatsornruang S, Somta P, Uthaipaisanwong P, Chanprasert J, Sangsrakru D, Seehalak W, Sommanas W, Tragoonrung S, Srinives P (2009) Characterization of microsatellites and gene contents from genome shotgun sequences of mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). BMC Plant Biol 9:137CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Varshney RK, Thudi M, Nayak SN, Gaur PM, Kashiwagi J, Krishnamurthy L, Jaganathan D, Koppolu J, Bohra A, Tripathi S, Rathore A, Jukanti AK, Jayalakshmi V, Vemula A, Singh SJ, Yasin M, Sheshshayee MS, Viswanatha KP (2014) Genetic dissection of drought tolerance in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Theor Appl Genet 127:445–462CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang LF, Jing WU, Jing RL, Cheng XZ, Wang SM (2014) Drought resistance identification of mungbean germplasm resources at bud stage. J Plant Genet Resour 15:498–503Google Scholar
- Wu CS, Wang LL, Wang SH, Chen HL, Wu JX, Cheng XZ, Yang XM (2014) Construction of a genetic linkage map in mungbean. Sci Agric Sin 47:2088–2098Google Scholar
- Zhao D, Cheng XZ, Wang LX, Wang SH, Ma YL (2010) Integration of mungbean (Vigna radiata) genetic linkage map. Acta Agron Sin 36:932–939Google Scholar